Polar HRM Question

Options
I just got a Polar HRM and used it for the first time today. I am trying to keep my heart rate in the fat burning mode and my HRM will show when you are in fat burning or fitness mode. I used my recumbant bike twice today. I used it this morning and the HRM showed that heart rate under 120 was fat burning mode. I used it again this evening and it showed fat burning heart rate to be under 115. What's up with that? Anyone else ever have that happen? Seems like it should be the same each time. Thanks,

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't bother trying to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone. I work out as hard as possible to burn as many calories in the allotted time.
  • miabrown66
    Options
    What is the difference? Should I just work out as hard as I can? I find myself having to slow down to keep it at the fat burning level but if you are not burning fat, what are you burning, carbs?
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    I don't bother trying to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone. I work out as hard as possible to burn as many calories in the allotted time.

ditto. i look at the results afterwards to see how many minutes i was burning fat and how many was general fitness. but i make the calorie burn the thing that counts, and try to keep my heart rate moving as high as possible, with in the healthy zone of course...i dont think our bodies will let us do more than that anyways but that is just me...

you are burning calories.
  • esthertsivia
    esthertsivia Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't have Polar...but my impression is anything above however many BPM is fat burning. Higher than another number is cardio, but is also fat burning. Know what I mean?
    Like anyone who has over 115 is smartt, over 125 is very bright, but 125 is still smart. Not exclusive
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think the fat burning zone is approx 60-70% of your maximum heart rate. Which is why it changes as you get stronger, fitter. I like to work out at about 85% of my maximum heart rate. I figure I have to be burning more cals in less time at that rate.
  • JBDuc
    JBDuc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way:

Working out harder will burn more calories. Burning calories is burning fat. Period.

"A large percentage of a small number can be smaller than a small percentage of a large number."

This was a concept outlined in a book I've been reading: Endurance Sports Nutrition.

A 150lb cyclist averaging a leisurely 12 mph may burn 380 cal/hr, & about 70% of the energy is derived from fat. The same cyclist may burn approximately 780 cal/hr riding at 18 mph, and fat provides about 50% of the necessary fuel.

70% of 380 is 266 and 50% of 780 is 390...the more intense ride burns over 100 more fat calories. More importantly...riding more intensely burns 400 more calories in the same time.

This whole notion of a 'fat burning zone' is completely lost on me. Ever wonder why the trainers on shows like the Biggest Loser and Heavy have those guys going as hard as they can? It's to burn calories and build muscle, not to keep them in the 'fat burning zone'.

I'm of the mind set that your workouts should always be 100%. You're doing them for a reason, right?!
  • miabrown66
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, makes sense. I guess I just did not understand why they pointed that out in the book that came with my watch.