BOTTLED WATER

Options
2»

Replies

• stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do you know where that bottled water you buy by the 24 pack, gallon, or jug comes from?? How about how the plastic bottles are made? Have you ever considered the consequences of producing and selling bottled water?

I just watched this AMAZING documentary that made me aware of SO MANY issues I knew NOTHING about.

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MCumz5lq4

The movie is called Tapped. I highly recommend it!

Please share your comments with me!

Wow! I watched this yesterday and it was really disturbing. Everyone assumes just beause it is bottled water it is safe.I had no idea that bottled water is not thoroughly regulated by the FDA. Also the test they ran on the different brands(Dasani,Aquafina,etc) made me cringe. You would be better off getting a water filter for your kitchen.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Wow! I watched this yesterday and it was really disturbing. Everyone assumes just beause it is bottled water it is safe.I had no idea that bottled water is not thoroughly regulated by the FDA. Also the test they ran on the different brands(Dasani,Aquafina,etc) made me cringe. You would be better off getting a water filter for your kitchen.
    i know! it definitely opened my eyes on so many things!
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Penn & Teller (yes, the magician duo) have a show on Showtime called Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t!

In season 1 (ep 7) they talked about bottled water and presented what looks to be most of the same facts as this documentary, including an experiment (non-scientific) to see if people could tell the difference in the taste and just how much they would pay for an "exotic" sounding water.

In season 2 (ep 5) they talked about recycling and how much resources are wasted to recycle and also how there really isn't as much in the landfills as you think.

With a title like bullsh*t, I don't think I need to warn you that the language can be VERY graphic (there is are reason for it explained in S1E1). but the shows are really thought provoking .. there are even several on obesity, weight-loss, health industry and more.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i love that show! i don't get the channel anymore, but it's a great show. i haven't seen that episode though, i'll definitely have to check it out!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I will definitely be sticking to my Voss water...tap water, especially the high chemical water here, can not compare to Voss
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Penn & Teller (yes, the magician duo) have a show on Showtime called Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t!

Off topic, but P & T are hysterical live! Went and saw them in Vegas a couple years ago. They even had photo ops in the lobby after the show. Both of them were pretty cool dudes!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I haven't read up on consequences of purchases produced water. But I have seen brown water come out of my tap... so I'll stick with the bottled kind! :sick:

Is there a brand that offers the least destructive production process?

I live in los angeles. drinkin the tap water there will get you killed.

I have a friend who has to change her filters on her purifier waaaayy too often. and then the question is asked... what about the manufacturing and disposal of filters?

YES! Los Angeles water is nasteh! We filter our water...change it about every 4 months or so...well, when the water starts tasting nasty again.
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would say if you have to buy bottled water to buy it in the by the gallon or larger. and recycle!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I"m not goin to tell you that challenging the system is a no no but i will say this...

I have seen waaay too many of my hippy friends waste their time attempting to challenge over the water debate. I do the best I can with what I have and thats that.

Living in los angeles I have alot of choices. I buy 5gal and 1 gal jugs of Purified water and use a refillable non bpm bottle i found at a hoity toity shop in downtown. It works for me but i wouldn't drink the tap water for any reason here. NOT AT ALL.

and seriosuly... when you cook with it... you do have to scrape that horrific film off the top of boiled water. its foul.