How do I get more protein?

Options
I am supposed to get in 61 grams of protein a day. How do you do that? I just don't eat that much meat. Anyone have any good ways to get in the most protein possible?

Replies

• holly0623
    Options
    Egg whites! I have some almost everymorning.
    Protein shakes are great.
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt.
    Those are all reallly good!
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Try peanut butter. All natural low sodium jif is super yummy
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Nuts, protein shakes or bars? I eat some bars for snacks that have a good deal of protein in them. Protein also helps you feel full longer.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt.

Everything she said.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian I don't get any protein from meat.

Besides soy, I get my protein from cereal. Kashi is really good for protein, their honey almond flax is super filling. Greek yogurt is high in protein, also low fat too so it's an extra bonus. You can get a protein whey powder and make smoothies as well.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Cheese, nuts...even the oatmeal I eat has protein.
    Peanut butter
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great source; also some types of beans (black beans are my favorite). And I love La Tortilla Factory High Fiber tortillas and wraps. I can't remember offhand what the protein grams are, but it's super high for the calorie count.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think what you're saying is how to get more protein while keeping carbs/fat the same? The easiest way is skinless/boneless frozen chicken breast. It comes in big bags and you can eat 2 a day for a quick 100g of protein! The other easy option in keeping carbs/fat down is Whey protein supplements. Cheap and easy. Also, great to sip while working out.
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Many breakfast cereals have protein as well.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    You can drink one protein shake, depending on the shake, and reach your daily allowance of protein.
  • krisnshan
    Options
    Any suggestions on the best whey protein to buy for shakes/smoothies? Or are they all about the same? Thanks for the ideas!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein - Delicious.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt.

Agreed! Also, peanut butter or raw nuts are good.
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Every morning as soon as I get out of bed I mix a Whey Protein Shake - Body Fortress Super Advanced Vanilla. Its in the Food list. One scoop has 140 calories, 26 grams of protein, 2 Fat, 65mg Sodium & only 1 Sugar.

Dr Oz suggests you 'eat' 30 grams of Protein within 30 minutes of waking...so this is what I use to come close.

Mix it well with cold water and then throw a couple of ice cubes (tastes better cold I think). Also comes in Chocolate. I get mine at CVS.

Good luck!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love Isopure Zero Carb http://www.theisopurecompany.com/powders.php. It comes in many flavors . . . there are also some with carbs and sugars if you need them.

It is awesome if you add the Greek yogurt to the shake . . . CRAZY PROTEIN right there! :happy:
  • miss_emma_joey
    Options
    I sneak a little tofu into my breakfast smoothies. You can't taste it.
  • lilwednesday
    Options
    Try peanut butter. All natural low sodium jif is super yummy
    {Peanut butter is extremely calorie dense. No one who is watch their weight should eat that rubbish. It may taste great but fat fat fat.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Many breakfast cereals have protein as well.

Many? So, Frosted Flakes would be a source of protein?
  • krisnshan
    Options
    I don't eat peanut butter but sometimes do have almond butter on wheat bread is that bad?
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Almond butter would be fine. Also a half can of tuna as 15 gm and 1 serving of salmon is 18 gm. And eggs, I don't know how much in eggs but I try to fit those into lunches for the protein. And yes, for dinner chicken, fish.

Joaniegray