How Many of You Go to Bed Hungry?

Options
Just wanted to know if going to bed hungry is the norm out there? I usually go to bed at 11PM, I eat dinner between 5 and 6pm and by 9 pm, I am hungry. I'm just watching tv, but I know a small snack would take the edge off. Anyone else feel this way, and do you have a light snack when this happens?

Replies

• beautifulbrat
    Options
    unfortunately for me, a typical dinner around here is anywhere from 10-midnight. right now my fiance and i are eating with everyone else, cause our kitchen isn't in total working order yet. usually i try not to eat with everyone else and have a healthy light snack if at all possible
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i dont like going to bed hungry but i am a late night dinner person so i usually dont have that issue. chocolate milk or a bowl of cereal usually do the trick if needed though!
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    have a low calorie high protien snack for dinner, protien is one of those things that your body can't turn into sugar while you are sleeping and it will continue to digest it while youre catching some Zs, and take the edge off!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I never go to bed hungry. I space my meals out (3 regular, 2-3 snacks).
    If you allow yourself to go hungry at any time, you risk being ravenous and will likely end up binging.

Most of us are overweight because we can't really recognize when we're truly hungry, thirsty or bored. Having timed, spaced meals can help with this.

To find out if you're really hungry: drink some water and wait about 15 minutes. If you're still hungry, get a light snack.
    However, if it's out of boredom, pick up a book, watch a movie, workout, phone a friend...anything to occupy yourself.

Good luck.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me when I was heavier, but not anymore. I can eat at 6pm and be fine until about 7am the next day. But when I get hungry in the morning, I mean business, LOL
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I know that many say not to eat late at night, but I usually get hungry before bed as well so I typically save a few calories for a light before-bed snack. Hasn't been terribly detrimental to me thus far.
  • szieres
    szieres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes. yes, yes!! Even if I'm not "starving" when I go to bed, I know when I get up in the morning, I'll be so hungry that my stomach will be hurting, and then I have to force myself to eat. I didn't want to eat anything that late (I too am up till around 11 or midnight), but it was much better than the feeling in the morning (like now, I'm hungry lol). I've recently been eating Nature Valley Granola thins around 9 or so. It doesn't fill me up, but its a good way to end the night. I've had both the Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter... and they also satisfy the "sweet tooth" that comes knockin' down the door sometimes!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I don't go to bed with a growling stomach. If I'm legitimately hungry before bed, I'll have a couple of grapes or something, or often I'll have an apple about an hour after dinner. I won't eat a lot, just enough to take the edge off, but I refuse to go to bed with a growling stomach because I get heartburn and won't sleep well, and then I'm crabby in the morning. And nobody wants that. :tongue:
  • 951heather
    951heather Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes sometimes I have a snack like trail mix, or sometimes I just go to bed hungry. It all works out if I dream of food- Just kidding, I don't! :laugh:
  • slapshot9977
    Options
    I know just how you feel...I have been pretty good about staying away from late night snacks. Before I started my diet that was one of my worst problems. I would always ALWAYS eat late at night. It always seemed to turn worse for me too. I can't have just a few chips or a few pretzels or I end up eating a whole bunch, so I know if I start it will be even harder to stop. Lately I just drink a bunch of water and it helps enough to get me to sleep. Try that hopefully it will work a little for you.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl myself. However I will not go to bed hungry. When I say hungry I mean I can feel an empty pit in my stomach. Just a small piece of fruit around 8 or 9 and then some hot green tea works for me. You can set yourself up for a binge if you are truly hungry.
  • holly0623
    Options
    I just cannot go to bed hungry. For some reason , the whole next day I feel like eating everything!
    So I always make sure to have calories left over for a snack. And I have just i tiny bit left over, I eat a sugar free jello cup, and it's only 5 calories!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating and I still have another salad to eat :)
  • miss_emma_joey
    Options
    Psh, even if you're sleeping, your metabolism is still going. It'd be the same as eating and then sitting on the couch and watching TV. No, you aren't exercising, but you're still burning the calories. Keep it light and small (My favorite is a little greek yogurt with some fruit, cereal and milk, or a 100 calorie popcorn pack) and you shouldn't have any adverse effects on your diet.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    if you're hungry then eat! if you go to bed hungry, you might wake up starving in a few hours & eat something you'll regret after & there is no reason to starve. if you're not sure that you're really hungry, drink some water & wait 15 minutes & then if you're still hungry eat something high fiber/protein to fill you up. if it's a matter of needing to munch & you can't distract yourself... pick up some baby carrots, fruit, hundred calorie packs, or popcorn.
  • Sarahmami
    Options
    I cannot go to bed hungry!! I will think about it all night..... Just grab a 100 calorie pack of something and you should be good!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This just started happening to me lately. Last night in fact I was STARVING! I had a cup of tea and went to bed. I told myself I can have a "big breakfast" in the morning.

Tonight I had a light dinner around 7 pm, so I planned for a snack before bed. I just had a piece of toast with peanut butter (10 pm). Now I feel satisified and won't go to bed hungry!

I'd track your hunger so you can plan snacks/meals accordingly. Although every day is different. and it may depend on your activity level :) Good luck!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The same EXACT thing happens to me. I've learned to save calories for nighttime so I can have a snack. I've also learned that if I ignore my hunger, my night of sleep is terrible!! I end up waking up early just to eat and its not worth it.
  • slapshot9977
    Options
    I need to find more snacks like that!:smile:
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    Split your meals so that you can have a bite before bed.