strength training question

lillieann1952
lillieann1952 Posts: 8
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
Well here I go again.....this site is easy to use, but it would help if I would read directions!!!
anyway....I have been adding 5 minutes every couple days to my brisk walk...up to 20-25 now.....no laughing ya"ll !!
I had 110 pounds to lose, have lost 11.8. But need some ideas about starting out light strength exercises to go with my cardio!
I am at Wuss level!

Replies

• loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    If there's a gym near you, I'd give them a call and see what a personal training session would cost. They could draw a program up for you. I found the best way to get started was to join a gym and work closely with my trainer. I'm still at Wuss level but I'm a Wuss who knows how to use the equipment at least. Besides, there will most likely be fitness classes that you can join in for cardio and some might even incorporate strength training!

Otherwise, I'm not really sure. You don't have to join the gym if you don't want to but I'd inquire how much getting a program drawn up that you can do at home would cost. They have the know-how and I'd rather have that than something I found off google, if you know what I mean.
  • Try a set of 3 or 5lb weights or a resistance band (all available at Target or Wal-Mart) You can use either to do basic bicep curls and chest presses. If you have an exercise ball, you can use that to do modified push ups and squats. And go easy on yourself when just starting out. If you can only do 5 or 6 reps at a time, that's fine. It's always better to do a few sets of really good reps than a lot of halfway reps. Your muscles won't get strong if you don't exercise them the right way.Try reading Shape or Fitness magazines, every month they have a section on easy strengthening execricise you can do in the comfort of your home. Hope that helps!
  • Start out light but be consistant. Even when you don't feel like it make yourself go and do lighter weights if you have to. That makes all the difference.
  • Bicep curls with light weights, leg extensions, leg press, shoulder press are all good
This discussion has been closed.