Skin problems and weight loss

thedreamhazer
thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm just throwing this out there as my personal experience to see if anyone can relate --- and if anyone has any advice.

I am 23 years old and I have never had bad skin. I'm very lucky that way, never more than a blemish, maybe two at a time. That is, until I started losing weight. I've been trying to write this off as just a bad breakout, but it's going onto 3 months now. My skin is horrible. Back, chest, and especially my face.

I know diet and exercise are supposed to improve your skin, but I've been experiencing the opposite. Given, there have been other changes in my life -- I'm working a late shift at work now, but I get plenty of sleep. I've switched my face soap four times now and nothing seems to work -- each switch brings different problems. One caused a rash, one dried my skin out past the point that moisturizer could help, and with the current one my skin is oily all the time.

Like I said -- I'm just trying to figure out if anyone else has had this problem, or if anyone has any recommendations. I'm out of ideas.

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Changes in medication, maybe? I went off birth control and my face flared up like CRAZY. I'm going back on it next month because I can't stand the acne any longer!

Since I've started working out more, Ive noticed blemishes on my shoulders/back. I think this is a result of more sweat production. Make sure you shower quickly after working out, and exfoliate those pores!

I change my pillow cases every few days also, just in case (and it helps!).
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Sounds like a medical problem. Maybe your diet isn't including enough vitamins or something. Have you tried taking a multi-vitamin once a day?

You should probably also go and see your doctor just in case you have some sort of deficiency.

I find my skin usually gets worse for a few days when I start eating well but nothing major and it clears up again pretty soon. Think it may be all the toxins coming out or something. More than a few days though sounds like something else.
  • Or, have you been sweating more with working out and maybe the fabrics you're wearing are bugging your skin?
    And do you use antiperspirant/ deodorant with aluminum in it? That clogs your pores up and if it's built up enough in your body I think it can cause skin issues.

Totally talk to a dermatologist though if switching to sensitive-skin stuffs doesn't help.
    Good luck!
  • Have you been drinking lots of water ? - Recommended amount is 8-10 glassess - That should cleanse your system.....:smile:
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    I was blessed with great skin, until my mid twenties.....at that point I started getting crazy acne. Today my skin is very, very sensitive. I have to use only the "free" detergents and fabric softeners. I use dial soap, plain white dial, at the advice of a dermatologist, and Clinque acne control during a breakout to reduce the time it takes to clear up. I would say spend the money and go to a dermatologist. It's worth it to be able to stop or reduce scarring.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Now that I think about it, I am drinking at lot less water than I was before. I pretty much drink only coffee nowadays, which I know is bad. I'll try a major overhaul of that habit and post if I see any improvements.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.