HRM help

Options
I have aquired a HRM...It does have the chest strap etc but as far as I can tell it only records heart rate. I have checked and its accurate on the BPM. There are no instruction manuals online, its a basic model used by schools (my son was given it as new supplies were coming in) What I need to know is how (if there is a way) to work out calories burned from BPM...is there a formula without knowing my breath expiration readings etc?

Cheers in advance :drinker:

Replies

• butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    would need to know make and model .... it may not be possible and - if it is a basic model as you say - it may literally just be an HRM ....
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    DSX...no model number as far as I can see. I just thought there was a formula for calculating calories burned from resting heart rate/exercising heart rate/ weight/gender etc. Ah well, its useful to keep me working at a constant level
  • Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My very expensive HRM (Garmin Forerunner 305) calculates calories burned only by distance! I'm riding my stationary bike and doing p90x so this does not help at all. I looked online and found this formula for calculating calories burned using gender, weight, average heart rate, and time. You just have to figure out a way to estimate your average HR. I hooked up my Forerunner 305 to the computer and it told me mine. Just plug and chug! Link provided below too.

Formula

The Journal of Sports Sciences provides a calorie expenditure formula for each gender.

Men use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.2017) -- (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184.

Women use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/221621-formula-for-calories-burned-during-exercise/
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My very expensive HRM (Garmin Forerunner 305) calculates calories burned only by distance! I'm riding my stationary bike and doing p90x so this does not help at all. I looked online and found this formula for calculating calories burned using gender, weight, average heart rate, and time. You just have to figure out a way to estimate your average HR. I hooked up my Forerunner 305 to the computer and it told me mine. Just plug and chug! Link provided below too.

Formula

The Journal of Sports Sciences provides a calorie expenditure formula for each gender.

Men use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.2017) -- (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184.

Women use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/221621-formula-for-calories-burned-during-exercise/

Cheers for that