Injured or aching?

jo_marnes
jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

My knee is aching today - how do yo know if its an injury or just a twinge?

I work out (high impact) almost every day. I also run. I'm used to working out a lot.

My knee feels painful enough to put a warm wheat bag on it, but not a sharp pain. How do you know if exercise will help or hinder?

Thanks,

Jo xx

Replies

• ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Perhaps a day or two of rest is needed if you are doing high empact exercise every day? You could also try wearing a knee support to see if that helps? x
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    When you say your knee hurts... where does it hurt? Lateral or posterior side? Front or back?

Personally I would not do high impact work every day, but it's a personal choice. Some people get away with it. I know that I don't.

Do you foam roll at all? Could it be as simple as tight ITB??

Do you running shoes need replacing? Do you track how many miles you've done in your current pair? Most wear out after 400 miles or so.
  • jo_marnes
    When you say your knee hurts... where does it hurt? Lateral or posterior side? Front or back?

Personally I would not do high impact work every day, but it's a personal choice. Some people get away with it. I know that I don't.

Do you foam roll at all? Could it be as simple as tight ITB??

Do you running shoes need replacing? Do you track how many miles you've done in your current pair? Most wear out after 400 miles or so.

Lol..... ummmm it hurts at the front, right over my knee cap.

What the hell is foam roll and ITB?

New runners for Christmas :-)
  • backinthenines
    ITB is your iliotibial band...
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/kneepainandinjuries/a/IT_Band_Pain.htm
    It's the most common cause of knee pain in runners. Frequent causes are overuse / too much too soon and mechanical issues such as excessive pronation.

Rolling the ITB on a foam roller can help ease the band:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm

How long have you been running for now you say?
    How frequently do you run and how far?

PS the new shoosies for Christmas, are they the same type you used to have or different model?
  • jo_marnes
    ITB is your iliotibial band...
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/kneepainandinjuries/a/IT_Band_Pain.htm
    It's the most common cause of knee pain in runners. Frequent causes are overuse / too much too soon and mechanical issues such as excessive pronation.

Rolling the ITB on a foam roller can help ease the band:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm

How long have you been running for now you say?
    How frequently do you run and how far?

PS the new shoosies for Christmas, are they the same type you used to have or different model?

I've looked at the ITB - pretty sure it's not that. I've been running 18 mths, 1-2 times a week, up to 21kms now. Didn't hurt this morning but have since done 30DS (though used to it) and pain has come on this afternoon. New shoes are my first 'proper' runners - had x trainers before.
  • backinthenines
    New shoes are my first 'proper' runners - had x trainers before.

hmmm... sometimes when people change shoes they get tweaks until they are bedded in. I know people who are very particular about wearing in new running shoes very gradually, and for a period of time will have two pairs on the go at the same time, and use the new ones for short runs of up to 5k and then go back to current ones for longer runs, until the new ones are bedded in...

I'm assuming you know the new runners are right for your gait etc?

Only asking because my friend is a neutral runner, went into a shop and bought a pair of Asics Kayanos (because she should expensive must be good), and she ended up with knee pain. Of course the Kayanos have massive stability features and are shoes made for moderate pronators not neutral runners, but she didn't know that. There are so many different running shoes out there it's easy to buy something that's not suited to your gait.
This discussion has been closed.