Jacket Potato Calories?

Options
HELP! I am trying to enter in a 300g jacket potato into my food diary but get different calories for it! One is 280 and the other is 228. Which one is right?

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Is 300g the amount it weighed before it was cooked or after? Did you eat the skin or not?

Those factors will change the calorific value. Let me know the answers and I will give you a reasonable estimate.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    *Apologizing for my ignorance* What is a "jacket potato"?
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    a jacket potato is what we call a baked potato
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    Amount it weights before cooked and yes the skin is eaten! :)
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Amount it weights before cooked and yes the skin is eaten! :)

In which case use the 'potato - flesh and skin, raw' from the database. 300g would be 231 calories. If you use any butter or oil, add those separately.

Erika

P.S. Unless it is a sweet potato (just looked at your profile), in which case use 'Sweet potato - Raw, unprepared (sweetpotato)', which would be 258 calories for 300g.
  • myofibril
    Options
    In which case use the 'potato - flesh and skin, raw' from the database. 300g would be 231 calories. If you use any butter or oil, add those separately.

Is that the value in the MFP database? I have to say that is a little low. It's more like 300 calories off the top of my head (I don't actually use the MFP database / application to track anything other than overall daily calorie intake or prepackaged stuff where the nutritional values are clearly stated so can be easily cross referred and relied upon. I know the values of lots of common items off the top of my head. Geeky I know... )

For a baked jacket potato which is cooked and with skin I use about 135 calories per 100g. The difference is due to loss of water from the pre cooked state when baking. Incidentally that is why there is very little difference is the cooked weight of boiled potatos in comparsion to their pre cooked state - water retention ;)
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

Is that the value in the MFP database? I have to say that is a little low. It's more like 300 calories off the top of my head (I don't actually use the MFP database / application to track anything other than overall daily calorie intake or prepackaged stuff where the nutritional values are clearly stated so can be easily cross referred and relied upon. I know the values of lots of common items off the top of my head. Geeky I know... )

For a baked jacket potato which is cooked and with skin I use about 135 calories per 100g. The difference is due to loss of water from the pre cooked state when baking. Incidentally that is why there is very little difference is the cooked weight of boiled potatos in comparsion to their pre cooked state - water retention ;)

It is from the MFP database, but it is not far off the stated nutritional values printed on the bag of potatoes I have in my cupboard...it can vary a little on potato variety...I tend to always use raw weights/measurements exactly for the reason of water evaporation/retention is not always consistent. Nothing is every going to be completely accurate though - it's all an estimating balancing game :happy:
  • myofibril
    Options

It is from the MFP database, but it is not far off the stated nutritional values printed on the bag of potatoes I have in my cupboard...it can vary a little on potato variety...I tend to always use raw weights/measurements exactly for the reason of water evaporation/retention is not always consistent. Nothing is every going to be completely accurate though - it's all an estimating balancing game :happy:

Actually, you're right about it varying a little. 75 calories per 100g is a good average figure and it's essentially guess work most of the time. I use a slightly higher figure just for the sake of simplicity and to balance out potential under estimation (which is seemingly more common than over estimating!)

I should have made that clearer so many thanks for picking up on that.
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your help! I always got confused about pre/post cooking weighing! :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Which type of potato is it?