Work breaksfasts...lunches...snacks :(

Options
Do any of you guys work at places that consistently buy food? My office buys breakfast and lunch EVERY Friday from the first of February to mid-April. Breakfast is usually bagels....and they are sooooo good!! But one bagel has 300 calories. I tried to eat a whole wheat one this morning for a few less and it was awful! So I passed and had my blueberry breakfast bar instead. Lunch is some sort of catered food from a local restaurant. I think I gain weight just looking at it! So I try to steer clear of that (pretty easy since I'm a picky eater and fried fish is on the menu a lot). But the snacks...oh my...this morning there are (and I'm not exaggerating) 40 boxes of girl scout cookies in our kitchen! Why?!?!?!? How do I combat that? Ugh....can't anything be easy?!?!

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My colleagues are constantly bringing in home baked goods or stopping for bagels on the way to work for all of us to share. It's so difficult. And going out for lunch is a whole other story.

I just bring my breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and stick to my guns. Once in a blue moon I'll have something, usually on a day when I am working out and need to eat more anyway! It's hard for sure, but just remember your goals!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are prepared by having your own food with you---so you will not give into temptation---I think it is pretty rude for places of employment to bring in unhealthy food these days---after all they are paying the health insurance costs (I hope so) for some of these people--Just try not to use that food as an excuse ---stick to your guns!
  • LM_710
    Options
    My office buys breakfast (bagels and pastries) every Monday and any day there is a catered meeting they put the leftover food in the kitchen for everyone to eat. I've learned to love my instant oatmeal and banana in the mornings and my Lean Cuisine's for lunch.

I get your girl scout cookie problem though!! When there is some kind of treat around I feel like I have to eat it. I've been dealing with cravings by looking the food up and seeing what a serving size is and how many calories it has. It usually helps to see how much running or elliptical work I'd have to do to balance the treat (on top of what I'm already doing). However, sometimes I have to have one of whatever it is and I do and then walk away. I think it's helped my willpower having one and being done than torturing myself and not having any.

Good luck!!
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ask if they can order you something special. This may be a possibilty. We have drug reps bring in junk all the time, Im learning to say no, but its hard
  • appleshells
    Options
    I used to work in a doctors office and the drug reps would bring in breakfast and lunch. It was crazy! Pastas, sweets, 4 or 5 course meals with only an occasional salad. I would pack my lunch and swear I would be good, but I always caved in.

When I graduated college and quit (ok, I got divorced at the same time so this doesn't count too much) I lost 60 pounds!

Good luck!
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I work at a cinema so I've got popcorn, sweets and a foodcourt downstairs to worry about. People are always sharing chips and sweets and fries! As lovely as it is, you really need to stick to your guns. Each lunch break I see people fork out money for chips, hotdogs, foodcourt rubbish and lollies! I got teased for being the girl with the "school lunch" but I asked them how much their lunches cost. They usually say about $8 - $15 and I always tell them that I just saved that amount of money by bringing my own lunch and how they change their tune! I don't understand why they do it especially when they're spending close to an hour of their pay on crappy food :(

Just bring your own and stick to your guns. If you love those bagels so much, why don't you make your own versions? Or if you really, really have to have some, just have a small piece after you've eaten your brought from home lunch, that is if you're still hungry. :)