Diet Soda Drinkers need to read this

Replies

• I gave up chocolate, sugar, white bread, anything fried, ice cream, chips, fast food, and iced coffee.

I know the Diet Coke is bad for me. I will get rid of it eventually.

Sheesh next they are going to say we have to quit having sex because it's gonna kill us too.
  • I am pretty sure there will be many more studies and the effects will be different. It is sad to think that pretty much everything we eat, drink, and even breath can cause us to become ill or even got to visit God a lot sooner than we should. We need to do what we feel is best and trust that we made the right choices to lose our weight for what ever our reasons are whether it be for health reasons or just because we want to be a smaller size. My addiction is sugary soda. I drink an occasional diet soda, but not to often. I have chosen to drink green tea the majority of the day, but have struggled with whether to use real sugar or a substitute. The only thing I can say is that I am trusting in God to help me decide what is best for me and not others who are using scare tactics every chance they get to control us in everyway they possibly can.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    *sips diet coke* That's interesting...

Hah. Too funny.
  • rizorw
    rizorw Posts: 67 Member
    I gave up chocolate, sugar, white bread, anything fried, ice cream, chips, fast food, and iced coffee.

Sheesh next they are going to say we have to quit having sex because it's gonna kill us too.

I love that! Soo true.
  • *sips diet coke* That's interesting...

Ooh LOL! :bigsmile:
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    I don't know about studies, but I do know my body.
    I quit drinking all soda last spring for non-health reasons. I didn't notice the correlation at the time, but later noticed that I had a significant improvement in migraines, asthma, and IBS symptoms.
    When the no-soda experiment was over and I started drinking soda again, boom... migraines, asthma, IBS bloating/pain.
    So I quit for good and symptoms disappeared.

Two times since then, I've fallen off the wagon and had soda at social occasions without really thinking. (I didn't say I was smart.) Both times, I ended up with asthma episodes, multi-day migraines, and bloating that made me look pregnant.

So, I guess the point is ... I don't need research studies to tell me that, at least for me, soda is not an option.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    I've come to notice that a lot of soda drinkers are like smokers; they know its bad for them but the enjoyment outweighs any health concern. They'd much rather deflect the negative attention onto some other unrelated issue.

To each their own but in my opinion you're healthy BMI doesn't matter much when you're still putting crap into your body.

Then I guess we're still all a bunch of hypocrites if we brush our teeth with toothpaste because the flouride will kill us too. What about birth control? Stop taking those pills, ladies, because we all know they can lead to strokes and blood clots... Stop wearing anti-persperint, it'll give you breast cancer... See where this logic is going?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    It has been posted, and there are many problems with the study from what I read even in the article in the mainstream media about it. I have not read the actual study, but the outline of it in the news article made me question some of their methodology. I think the most I would say from what I read is there is a correlation between consuming diet pop and strokes. The problem is correlation is not causality. It could be a simple as those most likely to drink diet pop are those with other risks such as being obese or the like. It certainly calls for more study, but at this point I think it is all hype.

In the article it said that even when they removed other factors, i.e being obese, there was still a correlation.

I think a lot of people will naturally try to diminish the study because they don't want to give up their diet sodas, but I still find it pretty compelling. More research should be done, but this isn't the first piece of research to say that diet sodas are bad for you.

And it seems to me the diet drinks are just as addictive as the real thing. My opinion - that's all.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    It has been posted, and there are many problems with the study from what I read even in the article in the mainstream media about it. I have not read the actual study, but the outline of it in the news article made me question some of their methodology. I think the most I would say from what I read is there is a correlation between consuming diet pop and strokes. The problem is correlation is not causality. It could be a simple as those most likely to drink diet pop are those with other risks such as being obese or the like. It certainly calls for more study, but at this point I think it is all hype.

In the article it said that even when they removed other factors, i.e being obese, there was still a correlation.

I think a lot of people will naturally try to diminish the study because they don't want to give up their diet sodas, but I still find it pretty compelling. More research should be done, but this isn't the first piece of research to say that diet sodas are bad for you.

It was not just the "pop" industry saying the study had flaws, but your point it taken. Yet another flaw, at least from the report I have seen is no differentiation between different artificial sweeteners. Most use Aspartame (sp?) which I will not use, Others use surcralose, and I am much more likely to drink those if I drink something. Still others, use Stevia although the numbers of those are very small. I am guess they were talking Aspartame (sp?) not the others, but I don't know. I would like to read the actual study, but for now it is correlation, not causality so I will wait for more study.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Well I stopped with the dit soda because they are filled with artificial sweeteners that can cause cancer, and obesity. Even splenda is processed with bleach. Scary...I personally eat other things in moderation ( fried, sweets, chocolate) and since I lost 80 pounds the year I gave up diet soda and continued eating small amounts of things I love that do not have franken ingredients, it is nice to know I am possibly reaping other benefits Too!
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    I've come to notice that a lot of soda drinkers are like smokers; they know its bad for them but the enjoyment outweighs any health concern. They'd much rather deflect the negative attention onto some other unrelated issue.

To each their own but in my opinion you're healthy BMI doesn't matter much when you're still putting crap into your body.

Then I guess we're still all a bunch of hypocrites if we brush our teeth with toothpaste because the flouride will kill us too. What about birth control? Stop taking those pills, ladies, because we all know they can lead to strokes and blood clots... Stop wearing anti-persperint, it'll give you breast cancer... See where this logic is going?

Like I said, deflecting because "well other stuff will kill you too!!!" hurry, take the spot light off yourself. I'm not saying I'm perfect but the difference is the things you listed have health BENEFITS also and 2 out of the 3 have healthier alternatives.

Some of flouride is necessary but there are organic/baking soda tooth pastes.

You can purchase deoderant without aluminum.

The risk of blood clots and stroke with birth control is minimal, it is an increased risk to smokers. Other negative effects can happen if medications are mixed but that's why you have a Dr evaluate your meds. Not to mention that bcps can regulate and lighten heavy periods, lessen cramps, and help with break outs.

But you're right, let's get rid of some of the good things so the heavy soda drinkers will feel better.

Regardless of whether you believe that study or any other one about soda, it seems illogical to argue that putting a completely chemical -and unnecessary- liquid into your body on a regular basis won't harm you in anyway.
  • Anything carbonated can also contribute to speeding up the onset of osteoporosis. It is really hard to stop drinking fizzy drinks. My Mum has osteoporosis, so I am trying desperately to give up the fizzy stuff. Tend to only drink it as a mixer though.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Regardless of whether you believe that study or any other one about soda, it seems illogical to argue that putting a completely chemical -and unnecessary- liquid into your body on a regular basis won't harm you in anyway.

I agree. I was a heavy Diet Coke drinker for over a decade. If I didn't drink it, I got a headache. Since I switched to green tea and water, I've lost 26 pounds (obviously, changing my diet and exercising more has had a lot to do with this), my stomach doesn't hurt as often (I used to have a low grade stomach ache every day, now I rarely have those issues), I feel less anxious, and I just feel better in general.

Look, I'm not going to lecture a smoker - they know the risks associated, and have a right to make their own choices. I feel the same way about diet soda drinkers. It's your choice to put whatever you want into your body. But don't try to pretend it isn't bad for you.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member

Like I said, deflecting because "well other stuff will kill you too!!!" hurry, take the spot light off yourself. I'm not saying I'm perfect but the difference is the things you listed have health BENEFITS also and 2 out of the 3 have healthier alternatives.

The risk of blood clots and stroke with birth control is minimal, it is an increased risk to smokers. Other negative effects can happen if medications are mixed but that's why you have a Dr evaluate your meds. Not to mention that bcps can regulate and lighten heavy periods, lessen cramps, and help with break outs.

But you're right, let's get rid of some of the good things so the heavy soda drinkers will feel better.

The benefit in drinking diet soda is the mental reprieve it brings which in addition quenches my thirst/sugar craving without the harmful effects of drinking a can of regular soda. A regular can of soda in fact contains six teaspoons of sugar whose DANGER have been PROVEN...

Enough said.
  • *sips diet coke* That's interesting...

Love it !
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Diet coke is like crack to me. If I quit cold turkey I can stay off it without problems. If I ever have even one sip again, I'm drinking can after can after can. I think it's also made me crave sweets 24/7.

Trying to quit again...
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152

The benefit in drinking diet soda is the mental reprieve it brings which in addition quenches my thirst/sugar craving without the harmful effects of drinking a can of regular soda. A regular can of soda in fact contains six teaspoons of sugar whose DANGER have been PROVEN...

Enough said.

I'm not arguing against diet soda, I'm arguing against soda all together.

And you realize there's such thing as a sugar addiction right? And soda might 'quench your thirst' but it in no way hydrates you.

Either way, I don't drink soda at all, diet or regular. So to each their own.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Diet coke is like crack to me. If I quit cold turkey I can stay off it without problems. If I ever have even one sip again, I'm drinking can after can after can. I think it's also made me crave sweets 24/7.

Trying to quit again...

It's like that for me, too.
  • Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    I gave up chocolate, sugar, white bread, anything fried, ice cream, chips, fast food, and iced coffee.

LMAO! Guarantee of all things I am not giving THAT up!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184

Totally agree! I have heard more against this study than I have for it. Their methodology was not standard by any means. There is no proof of causality in this study or any others. Yes, I drink diet sodas all the time...but I have also done several research seminars and I know that the way this study was conducted was completely wrong!

Correlation happens all the time! There is correlation between the stock market and the trendy length of women's skirts, but that is certainly not causality. I agree that there are probably more characteristics of those in the study (high stress levels from living in big cities perhaps??) that are directly attributable to strokes than is their common characteristic of drinking diet sodas.
This discussion has been closed.