diet soda cakes?

Options
I recently saw a recipe for a diet soda cake where you mix 12oz diet lemon lime soda and 1 white cake mix. Anyone ever done this? I', thinking of doing this with strawberry cake mix. What do you think?

Replies

• jts77
    jts77 Posts: 4
    Options
    My mom has done it. It works and she said it was yummy. I am going to try it with Diet Orange Sunkist and a white cake mix.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I thought heating diet pop was bad - something to do with a chemical change in the aspartame, or something. I remember reading that if you leave a can of pop in a hot place (like a car on a hot summer day) you should throw it out. So I don't know about baking it?? I'd have to research it a bit more, though.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    do remember, however, that just because you used a diet pop, does not make that cake diet in any way. It still has calories, carbs, sugar.
  • kmquirin
    Options
    You can actually do it with any kind of soda (I understand the calorie benefits of diet, but if you're worried about heating the diet soda then regular could be the way to go). Combos I've tried (both diet and regular): Chocolate cake & Cherry coke, French vanilla/white cake & Orange, White/chocolate cake & Dr Pepper. I have seriously not found a combo that wasn't tasty yet!
  • MizBee
    MizBee Posts: 37
    Options
    I have done this with different combos.... my fav is the chocolate cake mix with a diet cola :)) then to top it... you take some low cal whipped topping and it tastes like heaven.... you almost feel like you're cheating... but you're not. I make mine in a muffin tin so they are already portioned out and I know I wont keep eating them. You can try others like Orange soda with yellow cake, Or cherry soda with chocolate cake... ... you have a lot of possibilities here. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do :))
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I have done this.... my family really likes it!

Take the 1 box of cake mix and 1 12 oz can of diet soda. Bake according to the cake mix box cupcake instructions.

In our house, we have used all combinations of cake mix & different diet soda.
  • jamielr84
    Options
    My favorite is lemon cake with diet sprite and fat free cool whip for the icing! Yum!
  • wvucntrygrl57
    wvucntrygrl57 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My mom makes it with all different combinations. She usually uses diet sprite or diet sierra mist. She bakes the cake and then cuts it in the middle and layers the middle with fat free whipped topping and fruit, like strawberries and pineapples (anything), and then puts fat free whipped topping on the top and more strawberries and bananas. It is sooo good! I usually ask for it for my birthday!
  • alicedavison
    Options
    hey i did it with strawberry mix! worked beautifully
    its on bakenbeebz.blogspot.com
  • Kamixa
    Kamixa Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow, I am literally drooling at work haha. So many good ideas! I think I'm going to do the strawberry cake mix with diet lemon lime soda. I'm definitely going to use the muffin tin idea and make cupcakes so they will be better portioned. I'm bringing them to a dinner, so i will keep 2 at home for me and my boyfriend and leave the rest there =).

thanks for the help ladies!
  • Sarah_B_Harris
    Options
    Do you think that Strawberry Cake Mix would blend well with Diet A&W Cream Soda?
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

1 Chocolate devils food cake mix
    1 can diet soda (diet coke, pepsi, ginger ale anything)
    1/2 14 oz can fat free condensed milk
    6 oz or 12 tbsp Caramel sundae topping (I use no added sugar)
    1 container of cool whip light
    2 skor or heath bars (chocolate covered toffee bars)

Directions

Mix cake mix and diet soda (355ml or one can) with mixer for 2 minutes.

Pour cake mixture into greased 13x9" pan and bake 32-35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Wait 5 minutes and then poke multiple holes in the cake with a skewer or fork (larger holes work better).

Mix the condensed milk and sundae topping in the microwave for 2 mins on high, stirring halfway through.

SLOWLY pour the mixture over the cake, allowing to seep into holes.

Crush 2 skor bars and sprinkle on warm cake

Cool the cake, cover with cool whip when cool. Sprinkle crushed remaining skor bar on top with a drizzle of caramel topping

Nutrition based on 24 squares.

Number of Servings: 24

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 24
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 172.7
    Total Fat: 4.6 g
    Cholesterol: 3.8 mg
    Sodium: 60.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 32.2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g
    Protein: 2.2 g
  • Kamixa
    Kamixa Posts: 18
    Options
    Do you think that Strawberry Cake Mix would blend well with Diet A&W Cream Soda?
    yes! maybe i will do that instead. what a great idea. mmm
  • jamielr84
    Options
    Oh! Make sure when you mix the can of diet "whatever" and cake mix, DO NOT use a mixer! Mix by hand until blended.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    It's POP and Cake...i think any combo would be good!!!! LOL! Have fun experimenting:bigsmile:
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    I have never heard of this before... but guess who's gonna try it this weekend!!! lol
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    Diet Sunkist + French Vanilla Cake mix = yummy
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    Diet Sunkist + French Vanilla Cake mix = yummy
  • jdivenanzo
    jdivenanzo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is a Weight Watcher recipe...using diet pop with cake mix. Hungry Girl has a Yum Yum Brownie Muffin that is delicious. You use a chocolate cake mix with a 15 oz. can of 100% solid pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling). Bake at 400 deg. for 20 mins. Awesome! I put them in cupcake papers and it makes 12 cupcakes.
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    Aspartame will break down into formaldehyde, but it does the same thing in the body when metabolized. Im honestly not sure if the health issue is any worse or not, but if it's a worry, just bake with a splenda based soda =)