10 states with the unhealthiest eating habits

Options
Yahoo has a list up with it's list of the 10 states with the worst eating habits in the country. The whole article is worth a read, but the 10 states were

10. New Mexico
9. Arizona
8. Ohio
7. South Dakota
6. Nevada
5. Oklahoma
4. Kansas
3. Missouri
2. Alabama
1. Mississippi

You can find the whole article here: http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112083/10-states-with-the-deadliest-eating-habits

If you're from one of those states, do you agree or disagree. If you're not from one of those states, do you think you're state should've been on it instead?

Replies

• jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm in Alabama, and ooooooooooooooooooh yeah buddy I don't think second-fattest is an exaggeration.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I was reading that earlier on Yahoo...WOO HOO! Louisiana didn't make that list!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Not surprised by many. Did not expect South Dakota.

I'd expect Washington state to be pretty high on the healthy list.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Or second-most-unhealthy-eating-habits, for that matter :wink:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Actually, I would have expected Louisiana before AZ.

D
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Surprised Nebraska is not on there. Omaha is one of the unhealthiest cities.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I read the article earlier this morning, and I'm in Oklahoma. There are tons and I mean tons of overweight people in Oklahoma, so I hate to see what Alabama and Mississippi look like.
  • gamommy2
    gamommy2 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My State of Georgia should of made the list; Sweet tea offered with Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Not to mention all the fried foods, Mac & Cheese, Turnip greens (cooked with bacon lard of course). Makes your heart hurt.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm from WI and everyone always thinks that we are so fat and unhealthy up there. I'm happy to see it's not on the list. Now I'm in FL, and yeah...not on there either :)
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Alabama here. I agree. I'm actually surprised they focused on the soda consumption of the state instead of something else i.e. fried foods. Personally I do not drink soda at all. It was a choice I made to cut it out a few years back even before I started losing weight.

I hope Alabama makes it OFF that list one day in the near future.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Ha ha....just read this article too....

Live in Mississippi & I'd have to agree! We're military, so we've lived MANY MANY places....I have something to compare it to. Mississippi earned it's spot on that list!
  • reilee3
    Options
    I moved to Mississippi in June and I definitely agree that it is the unhealthiest state in the US. Everything is either fried or smouthered in barbecue sauce and lard. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in October and people can't believe that I can't eat fried food; I've had more than one person tell me they would die if they couldn't eat their fried chicken, haha.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy that Michigan didn't make the list. We, unfortunately, seem to be a main fixture on the 'Fattest States' list.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Arizona surprised me. I am from the UK but have visited a number of times. As a tourist its not always easy to find the healthier options when you don't have the insider knowledge. Never found that a problem in Arizona though. Always been able to find fresh enjoyable meals. Florida on the other hand was tough to near on impossible. Next time I go back there I will probably go self catering.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    The simple fact that Texas is NOT on there makes me think the list is made up lol
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how Michigan is one of the fattest states in the country but didn't make the list...
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The simple fact that Texas is NOT on there makes me think the list is made up lol

Ditto. I'm a proud Texan but the fact is that we have three of the fattest cities in the country in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. Public transportation is pretty much non-existent and we're too spread out to walk places so everyone drives everywhere. With the abundance of fattening Mexican food (especially in my hometown of San Antonio), everything IS bigger in Texas...and that's not always good.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm in Alabama and I definitely agree. I would not have been surprised if Alabama would have been #1.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm from WI and I'm glad we're not on the list, but a little suprised too with all of our beer, brat and cheese eating :happy:
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options

Ditto. I'm a proud Texan but the fact is that we have three of the fattest cities in the country in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. Public transportation is pretty much non-existent and we're too spread out to walk places so everyone drives everywhere. With the abundance of fattening Mexican food (especially in my hometown of San Antonio), everything IS bigger in Texas...and that's not always good.

As a fellow Texan, I'm shocked that we didn't make the list. I suspect we're not far from the top 10 though. Austin must have saved us -- it's consistently made the list of the healthiest cities. Maybe that helped!

Interesting though ...