confused

lisapooh1
lisapooh1 Posts: 90
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I was told by a physical trainer at a gym that if you are on a 1600 calories meal plan per day and you eat those calories if you also exercise say 600 -700 calories a day , he said you eat those calories too that you burn, but do not go over 2000 calories a day. Is this true? What ever you burn you should eat those calories too. How can you lose weight if that's the case. Thanks everyone I need to get this right.:sad:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    MFP is set up this way as well. Put simply, assuming you will lose weight eating the 1600 (not sure what MFP suggests for you) without exercise. If you exercise you should eat those calories back to keep you at your goal of 1600 Net (1600 after exercise is backed out) So if you burn 300 calories you mush eat 1900 (1600+300) to get to 1600 net (1900-300 from exercise).

MFP may suggest more or less than the 1600 based on the information you entered.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    It's a matter of preference but there are tons of posts on the boards about this. Here is one or you can use the search function (or google) and get more feedback from others.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/66264--eat-your-exercise-calories
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    The 'don't go over 2000 calories' I don't understand either. Some people have a more than 2000 calorie intake. It depends on how big you are, how much exercise you are doing, what your exercise plan is, etc.
  • erickirb
    It's a matter of preference but there are tons of posts on the boards about this. Here is one or you can use the search function (or google) and get more feedback from others.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/66264--eat-your-exercise-calories

I would argue that it is not a matter of preference as MFP is set up so that you must eat them to meet your goal. Not following the MFP program (eating exercise calories) would be like going to WW and not bothering to count points, as the main idea of MFP is to keep your caloric deficit the same each day regardless if you exercise or not. I don't think anyone on WW would join the program and not count points so I can't figure out why people would come to MFP and not follow the program.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    I'll tell you what I do. I sometimes eat back some of my exercise calories, but not always and never all of them. For me I try to stay under 1500 calories and try to never go over 1800 calories. I have a bodybugg, so I know how many calories I'm burning a day. I say if you aren't hungry don't eat the calories back. If you are hungry go ahead and eat some of them back. Personally I would never eat 2000 calories except on my free days.

Good luck in your decision on what to do and in your weight loss journey.
  • erickirb
    The 'don't go over 2000 calories' I don't understand either. Some people have a more than 2000 calorie intake. It depends on how big you are, how much exercise you are doing, what your exercise plan is, etc.

The trainer said the 2000 is for her, not for everyone in general.
  • i try to eat back at least half of my exercise calories if not more. you need to give your body not only enough fuel for what you're putting it through but you also need to try to have protein and good fats after workouts during the "golden hour" to repair yourself after youre done.

It doesnt have to be ahuge meal either. Just a handful of nuts (not peanuts) or something with fresh avocado. plain greek yogurt (add honey to sweeten if you dotn like it) does this help at all?
This discussion has been closed.