ouch ouch my muscles ache - I'm sore!

I have had three visits with my personal trainer and can barely move today - it hurts to even smile or scratch myself! and I have another session tonight. No one told me trying to lose weight would be this hard! You guys are such a nice group that I had to share my pain! The sad part is.... the scales still tell me 196 lbs. I am doing my best to not be disheartened! ouch

Replies

• randimockensturm
    randimockensturm Posts: 49 Member
    I have had three visits with my personal trainer and can barely move today - it hurts to even smile or scratch myself! and I have another session tonight. No one told me trying to lose weight would be this hard! You guys are such a nice group that I had to share my pain! The sad part is.... the scales still tell me 196 lbs. I am doing my best to not be disheartened! ouch
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    I can feel your pain!!! After my first lower body session with my trainer, I could barely get up and down our stairs for two days! Then yesterday towards the end of my session I seriously thought I was going to vomit....yuck! Don't be discouraged by the scale. As you continue with your sessions, you will begin to notice changes...areas will look toner and clothes will fit better. That is what really matters, not some stinkin number. Keep up the good work and blessings to a healthier new you!!!
  • Although I am not a expert on training and health, I want to give you a bit of my experience. When I haven't trained for a while and I start to train intensely again, I also saw the scale telling me that I weight more! But here is the good part, it is only coz muscles weighs more than fat! And don't worry, hang in there coz if you have build enough muscles you will start losing weigh (fat) much faster than usually and here is more good news, people with a big/ a lot of muscle tend not to gain weight as fast as people with no/few muscle!

Unfortunately there is no easy way! We have to train hard and limit our food intake to stay in shape!

Good Luck and remember you are not alone and there are people out there who have a bigger battle than us!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Remember to rest your muscles and massaging them after sessions is a huge benefit! If you can't make it to a profesional, do your own by taking your palms and moving up and down the "grains" of the muscle. it helps to move blood through. That and it feels awesome :happy: Also, stretch stretch stretch!! you don't want the pain to discourage you.

:flowerforyou:
  • aladuke26
    aladuke26 Posts: 37 Member
    Lol. I can barely move today. I too decided to get moving and lose some weight. I joined a co-ed softball league. Our first game was on Tuesday, and today I cannot even move. There are parts of me that hurt, I didn't know existed. Not only that, but next week starts my "boot camp" that I signed up for. That will be 2 days a week. I am not gonna be able to move!!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    On the up side - at least you know you're doing something. There's nothing worse than having a session that doesn't feel like a work out. I hate being sore too, but it is a good thing.

I think drinking a ton of water helps. Maybe eat more protien too because if you've been lifting weights, you've been making little tears in the muscle (your body builds the muscle as it repairs the tears)

If you are really sore, maybe take a few days off in between time with the trainer (or talk to him/her about doing something a little less intense to give them time to heal).

The scale going up could be anything. I though bob green said something (and don't remember exactly) about muscle holding onto water as we start to work out. Then as we get used to it, it goes away.

Feel Better! Just think how great you'll look!
  • Kreanga1
    Kreanga1 Posts: 12
    Is the extreme pain necessary? I'm an older athlete and I'm a little sceptical that it has to hurt that much. Take it easy and build slowly. Look for alternative exercises (Tai chi, yoga, etc.) if the boot camp approach is discouraging you. Watch out for overtraining injuries too. Good luck.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I feel the pain today too! my bum muscles are killing me :grumble:
    You should tell your trainer where you're having pain, maybe you're taking on too much too fast! The scales will go down, just gottaa give it time. :flowerforyou:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I'm wondering if it is such a good idea to work that hard. If you are hurting that bad ,I would think that there is some tearing or injury in your muscles and especially at our age I wouldn't think that this is a good thing. I also do aerobics, streching and shaping but since I have some problems with my shoulders I don't do it hard and if it starts hurting too much, I just do legwork and pick up later in the dvd.
    I just rented a dvd that was for people over 50 and they were very adamant about the exercise not hurting, and if it did to stop. I don't think the no pain no gain theory is still applicable and I'm loosing very well with my approach to the whole thing.
    I love the way I feel after working out and miss it when I have an off day... If I was hurting every time, I think I would give up and go back to being a couch potatoe.
    A couple of things you might want to do is take some Aleve, a hot bath to relax your muscles ( my husband loves to put aspirin in the water) and talk to your trainer, ask if you could alternate days, one cardio, one strengh.
    This is my personal opinion and you can do whatever you wish...:flowerforyou: I hope it helps
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    OUCH! Great job surviving those workouts though! Keep up the good work!