what to eat at Disneyland

Options
Hi, We're going to Disneyland next weekend and is it possible to eat healthy there? Are there certain places where you can get healthier food/snacks in Disneyland and California Adventure? Anyone recommend certain items to eat?

Also any healthy places to eat nearby? (We are not staying on the resort).

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Haven't been for a long while but last time I went I noticed they sold fruit at many food stands.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Okay, never been there, but we were at Disneyworld not too long ago and at PEcos Bill, you get a burger, and then have basically a salad bar (sort of like Fudruckers) where you dress it----that is the best diet friendly fast place in the park. I ditched the bun, had a veggie burger--and put sauteed mushrooms, fresh salsa, and pickles, etc. So delish! Maybe they have something like that in Disneyland, too
  • They let you bring your own food. There are lockers you can rent near the front entrance. Bring some good healthy choices with you and keep them in the locker. You'll save a lot of money doing it this way too.
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Have yet to go to Disneyland but have been to Disney World many times and been on the Disney Cruise a few times. Here's a list of all the Disneyland restaurants and their menus...

http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    They do sell fruit around the park now...which is nice. We always eat at the Carnation place on main street. They have a nice selection of fresh sandwiches. Also, you could talk your husband or daughter into splitting a burger. Are you going next week end?
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    We were there last year, and I did get some salads, and if you can work a burger in, the topping spread is great!! You can almost get a mini salad on your burger!

I did look before we went and had some ideas. I am a planner... got to feel in control... LOL!

Try this site... not sure how accurate the prices are, but maybe you can plan ahead a bit... or at least know where to avoid!!
    http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Disneyland is the one place I never care why I eat from morning to night. Any other vacation I typically have a cheat meal per day and try to stay healthy most of the time. But Disneyland, to me, is all about fun, letting go and being a giant kid. So I start my day with a Mickey waffle and bacon every morning and pretty much eat all day. (I once had a 6,000 calorie day in DL)

That said, if you look at the park map, restaurants with healthy dining options are marked with apples. And while they do sell fruit everywhere you turn, bring your own. You could bring in a pound of apples for what they charge for one.

And if you run out of water while in the park, you can refill your water bottle at the first aid building on Main Street. Their water fountain is filtered and cold.
  • SoldierWife99
    Options
    I can't remember the name of the restaraunt, but it's in Adventure Land, across from the Jungle boat ride. It's a nicer place, sit down, but it's an Hawiaan atmosphere and they serve a lot of chicken and fish. Plus there are belly dancing shows on the stage! Seeing those tight bellies up on the stage may motivate you to stay on track!:laugh:
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've only been to Disney World, but they have a lot of choices. I assume Disney Land would be the same.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the name of the restaraunt, but it's in Adventure Land, across from the Jungle boat ride. It's a nicer place, sit down, but it's an Hawiaan atmosphere and they serve a lot of chicken and fish. Plus there are belly dancing shows on the stage! Seeing those tight bellies up on the stage may motivate you to stay on track!:laugh:

That's Disney World. The only thing across from the Jungle Boat ride in Disneyland is Bengal BBQ. Which is tasty, but not healthy. The meat skewers are all doused in very heavy sauces and the asparagus is wrapped in bacon. lol Also, it's probably the most overpriced snack in the park.

The AllEars link that people have posted it pretty accurate. I keep it bookmarked on my phone so I always have it while in the park.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i usually pack a foot-long subway, also to save money. i REALLY like the vegetarian gumbo at new orleans. not sure how healthy it is but i don't eat the whole bread bowl. i used to have a pass but not this year : (((
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...good ideas.I checked out the menus... excellent!!! Yes, we're going for the long weekend, for my daughter's birthday on the 19th. DH is staying home, but a friend is meeting us there, plus we're taking two of dd's friends.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that you'll be doing TONS of walking that day so that is a bonus!!
  • sanddollar
    Options
    Well, we had a great time!!! Thanks for the ideas... I had the best chopped chicken salad at the Tomorrowland Terrace fast food window - right next to JEDI training and Finding Nemo submarine. It was so good I didn't even need the dressing! It had chicken, lettuce, tomatos, red peppers, feta cheese and I don't remember what else. It was really good.

And for those that need to charge their SmartPhones, there were some outlets sticking up out of the planters at the Tomorrowland Terrace eating area, but they had been disabled. However, later we went in the Star Traders and I was able to find an outlet in the arcade to plug in my phone!! Yippee!! (That's across the way near Captian EO and Space Mountain).
  • blue929
    Options
    i go to disneyland all the time (great place to walk and loose weight)..there are fruit stands in tomorrowland selling pineapple, grapes and a bunch of other yummy fruits. also i pack my own sandwich for the park (although the park security will check your bag they can not stop you from bringing in food, if they do just say your diabetic or keep kosher or something...but they wont stop you)

have fun!!!!
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would recommend packing your own lunch (especially if you are going with a family). Yes, they sell fresh fruit now and several other healthy choices but they charge ridiculous prices for them. If you need a little protein pick me up, I highly recommend Bengal's Barbecue. It sells delicious meat kabobs. I'm not sure how caloric the sauce is but it's basically a portion size of meat so how bad can it be (famous last words)?
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oops, I just noticed your post saying you've already gone. Hope you had a good time!
  • sanddollar
    Options
    atrayubrandy - No problem, I am sure other people might read this thread and appreciate your good ideas!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have been annual passholders for several years and they have really increased their healthy options. There are grilled chicken breast or veggie patties at most of the sandwich places--just eat half of the bread. The pavilion near Main Street has salads that you can get low fat or fat free dressing for. Something I like to do is order the kid's meal of chicken or pasta and have a side salad with it. Since it is cafeteria style, you don't actually have to be a kid to order it.

They also have fresh fruits and veggies at the snack stands, which is fairly new. If you want to go overboard on the sodium for a low cal snack, I always like a giant pickle!