discouraged....

2»

Replies

• Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Don't do what I did! I was on this site a year ago, lost about 7-8 pounds in a little over a month... I got discouraged and quit. Gained back all that and more... And if I would have kept it up I'd be there already. That much weight in a short amount of time is great. You didn't gain the weight in a month... It won't come off in a month. Keep it up you're doing awesome!
  • 7 pounds is great! Its a good idea to only lose 1-2 pounds a week, so you're right on track! Keep your chin up girl! :)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    7 lbs in 3-4 weeks is amazing. You want to lose the weight slow because it stays off. You don't want to lose it too quickly. You are doing it at an excellent pace. Keep it up. Also, it isn't a good idea to weigh everyday. I know that I am guilty of doing it too then get frustrated when the scale doesn't go down. Remember, your weight will go up and down from day to day depending on water weight. Don't get frustrated!! You are doing a great job!!! Keep it up!!!

4714135.png
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    The faster you lose, the less likely you are to keep it off, so take your time and just learn to lead a healthy life style. You have lost a lot already and you will continue to lose... eat lots of veggies, fruits and drink plenty of water.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Blondie: I get it. You figure that after that amount of time, that you really ought to see something better.

Fact is that you are doing fine. more that 2lbs per week means that your have more than a 7000 calorie deficit per week. That is not a good thing. Remember you also have to take in a certain number of calories per day just to break even and not go into starvation mode. That is where your body goes into a panic and refuses to let go of any body fat. My number is 1200 but you, being a lady, may have lower number. There are lots of tools to figure it out.

I hit a plateau today so I'm very well acquainted with frustration.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    I will echo earlier comments, but will also add the following:

Make sure that you are measuring things accurately!! That includes a heart rate monitor to accurately measure calorie burn, a good scale that measures in .2 pound increments (avoids rounding high aka discouragement), and a household food scale (measure by weight (grams for me) instead of volume measure and/or eyeball test).

I had a crappy scale that measured in 1/2 pound increments that developed a crack in the case and was causing my weight to be all over the place (at least on the scale).

I was in a 10 day plataeu and after researching the problem, the recurring theme (among other factors) was overestimation of food portions. A food scale eliminates that issue from the plataeu equation.

Whatever you do, don't allow your calories to dip below 1200/day consistently. Your body will hunker down and hold onto that fat for dear life!!

One last note...I am of the minority that weigh myself every day. I used to get easily discouraged when I tried to lose weight in 2008, but I am a little older and wiser and I do not allow upticks or unchanged weight loss discourage me anymore. I have made peace with the fact that variations are part of the journey and as long as you are eating right and exercising, the weight loss and most importantly, the body transformation will happen.

Good luck to you! You are doing awesome!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    1-2 lbs per week is the recommended healthy way to lose weight, so 7 lbs in that time frame is great!!!
This discussion has been closed.