Push ups: Knees vs Toes

BeckyJill7
BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a question about doing pushups. I'm trying to work increasing the number of pushups I can do. Will I see more progress if I increase reps on my knees (good form) or toes (after 5, I can only go about halfway down)?

Replies

• tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Do both? Start on your toes until you can't do anymore and then keep doing them on your knees.
    That's what they have us do at the gym anyway. (I can't even do any toe ones though!)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Do both? Start on your toes until you can't do anymore and then keep doing them on your knees.
    That's what they have us do at the gym anyway. (I can't even do any toe ones though!)

This is what I do too! I can only manage 10 or so on my toes before dropping down to my knees, but last week it was only 7 so I'm getting there slowly!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Good form is a MUST! Start on your knees until you can do them on your toes with good form. Then if you are on your toes and get sloppy with the form go back to your knees. If you aren't using the right position you are putting lots of strain on your lower back and could end up hurting yourself more than helping. I do p90x and had the hardest time with the push ups but doing different types (regular, military with hands under shoulders, diamond with fingers touching, etc) also helped to build my push up endurance because they work different muscles strengthens your chest/back overall.

Good luck and remember, good form over all!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

Ditto, great suggestion.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    i do push ups using the exercise ball - starting with the ball at the pelvis level, but keeping my legs straight and tight - as you get better, the further back you situate the ball (thighs, knees, ankles) the harder they get. I find it much easier to keep my form this way.

Also, its great to do wide stance push ups for biceps / chest (hands shoulder width apart) but to work your triceps, you can bring your hands in so that your thumbs are almost touching - its a harder movement, but its a nice alternative to other tricep exercises.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    ALWAYS go for good form! Be on your toes until you don't have good form and then drop to the knees!

Never sacrafice good form for more reps! That's when injuries happen!
This discussion has been closed.