Struggling with breakfast

Options
I am having trouble remembering to eat breakfast, and when I do remember that I should eat something, I run out of time to gab something. Does anyone have and advice of something fast, easy and can be taken on the go if necessary?

Just wondering how everyone else manages.

Replies

• jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of toast (Sara Lee 45 calories) with a 1/2 T of creamy peanut butter and an apple. It keeps me full for a while. Yogurt is also a great pick if you need something that's grab and go.
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    make a fruit smoothie at night - fruit juice, banana, muesli, berries etc. Put it in the fridge in a container you can bring with you in the morning.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    This is part of the reason why people have a hard time losign weight---you have to fuel the body in order for the metabolism to do what you want it to do.

You must plan ahead both when you go shopping and the night before. You just HAVE to make time to get your breakfast in, otherwise, you end up very hungry at some point, and then you will reach for the wrong kinds of foods.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I buy a box of Nature Valley Peanut Butter granola bars. I keep them in my desk at work. I am usually pretty hungry in the mornings so that is my breakfast of choice. They are quick, filling, low cal and taste great!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with granola is easy to pack the night before and grab and go. I also make a batch of whole wheat pancakes on the weekend and wrap them individually to grab in the mornings. These pancakes are great with nutella and bananas and are very portable and yummy (the recipe is on my blog). Other than that granola, cereal (watch sugars especially HFCS here- I like central market organic frosted flakes + blueberries) and protein shakes are good options. Planning is key for breakfast and will definitely make for a better day!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I actually drink a Slimfast in the morning around 7 and then I have a snack around 10.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i used to do this. skip breakfast and be sooo hungry and snack on rubbish. i have been having breakfast for a good 6 months now and dont know how i survived without it! i am full until lunch time and dont need to snack on rubbish

cereal with skimmed milk or piece of toast plus/minus fruit usually do the trick
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    I keep a loaf of Healthy Life bread and natural peanut butter in my drawer at work so I can make toast.

My boyfriend is a chronic meal-skipper, but I started slipping Fiber One 90-calorie chewy bars into his bag in the mornings and now he's starting to ask for them. :)
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I mostly skipped breakfast or had, at most, a pop tart or something before watching my cals and working out. Now, I've made sure I get up at least 15-20 minutes earlier so that I can be sure I have time to fit breakfast in each day. There are quite a few quick fix options available, so just have some of those ready to go and plan a head a little bit. Fresh fruit is great, quick and easy to grab and go. Cereal and toast can be pretty quick, too. Get a couple of staples that you like, and just rotate them.

You don't need to give yourself a lot of extra time, but at least a little extra will help get the day started right.
  • rizorw
    rizorw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. Lots of good ideas.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Pick a ready-to-drink protein shake that has at least 15g of protein and under 175 calories in it. They usually come packaged so they don't have to be refrigerated. You can keep some in your fridge at home and your desk at work. (Slim Fast and Special K are not good choices--too high in carbs and calories, and too low in protein.)

The other food suggestions are great.

It's true--there is no way out of advance planning and preparing for your food if you want to eat healthy. Being at the mercy of the grab-and-go could turn out to be a disaster, unless you're within walking distance of a grocery store at all times. :-)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I keep a carton of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge. Takes 10 seconds to peel, and then you can eat it on the go. Or if you're really in a rush, you can just carry it in your pocket (the shell makes a nice carrying case) and eat it when you get there.
  • emilyds
    Options
    A real time saver for me is taking a little plastic baggie of dry cereal in the car. Cheerios usually.

I commute to work (40 - 90 minutes, depending on traffic) and I'm not much of a breakfast eater, so this works for me.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I eat a piece of toast (Sara Lee 45 calories) with a 1/2 T of creamy peanut butter and an apple. It keeps me full for a while. Yogurt is also a great pick if you need something that's grab and go.

That sounds like my breakfast during busy mornings :)
  • outersoul
    Options
    Pick a ready-to-drink protein shake that has at least 15g of protein and under 175 calories in it. They usually come packaged so they don't have to be refrigerated. You can keep some in your fridge at home and your desk at work. (Slim Fast and Special K are not good choices--too high in carbs and calories, and too low in protein.)

The other food suggestions are great.

It's true--there is no way out of advance planning and preparing for your food if you want to eat healthy. Being at the mercy of the grab-and-go could turn out to be a disaster, unless you're within walking distance of a grocery store at all times. :-)

This is exactly what I do. I pack protein shakes in my lunch bag and some fruit the night before. That way I just have to grab my lunch bag off the counter and head out the door if I'm in a time crunch. This is all stuff I can eat on the go.
  • DanielleHodgins
    DanielleHodgins Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I blend up a shakeology shake cause its quick and the smartest calories I can put in my body. Good luck!