night time binges

Options
So I rock during the day and know all the stuff to do to lose weight and maintain. Something happens at night though. I get off work and feel like I just want to curl up and stuff my face and watch t.v. Now this is not all the time. i know it is related to stress and other stuff because I can see it happening, yet I feel out of control and then I wake up the next morning feeling terrible. This past week I have binged 4 times and am up 7 lbs, as of this morning. These are not "oh I had an extra couple of cookies binge" This is full on entire pizzas followed by bags of chips and ice cream. Just wondering if there are any others out there they may want to support each other through our B.E.D. (binge eating disorder)

Replies

• dcjohnson38
    Options
    omg!!!! that is so me. when I am at work I am not really hungry at all!!!!! but as soon as I walk through the door there it goes I go to my room turn on the t.v. and all I want to do is eat eat eat!!!!! sometimes while I am eating I feel sooooo guilty but I do it anyway!!!!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    first of all.. is this a true binge? if so... have you looked into compulsive overeating books, geneen roth is awesome! also, overeaters anonymous has REALLY helped me... i have gone to several meetings and read many of their books...

secondly, i find if i am tired it makes it extra hard. so, make sure to go to bed early and get enough sleep. i do not have the same cravings if i am well rested. so maybe at 8pm instead of going to the kitchen, go to bed?

i can SO relate....
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i would also ask, do you eat enough?

i eat 5 small meals a day...

make sure to get enough protein and fiber too.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. Binge eating at night is something I'm still struggling with....
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would be able to say this, but I USED to do the same thing. After 6+ months of being on MFP, learning a TON about nutrition and healthy eating, logging what I eat (except the occasional weekend), my binging has significantly reduced. I thought I'd never get control over it. It takes time and persistence, but you can overcome it! Keep posting about it, get support, and log everything, and you will get a handle on the binges.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm no psychologist and I know its easier said than done but maybe try to find a hobby to do when you get home to take your mind off coming home and eating. I eat when I'm bored and anxious and i had a mini binge last night and i felt disgusted with myself. But, I forgave myself (I'm only human) and just put in an extra 30 min at the gym today.

You could also try healthier late night snacks (i really enjoy a bowl of cereal). And, make sure to eat during the day! It's better to have little meals throughout the day than to eat one big meal at the end. Oh, and drink alot of water! that fills you up.

Try to stay positive! I hope this helps a little.
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem cravings but I have been able to hold them off so far by 1) feeling guilty about reporting every calorie I eat on MFP (I am obsessed with doing that) and 2) keeping a big bag pretzels next to my TV chair. I know pretzels have alot of sodium and whatnot but it's better than pizza and ice cream! If I really need something else, I'll heat up some Progresso Light soup--that's better too and usually satifies my cravings and fills me up. My biggest problem is the weekend nights that were always my cocktail nights. I really crave a few white russians and it takes all the will power I have to resist but I've only caved 2 times since New Years (once on my birthday and the Super Bowl). Tonight will be no different--I am going for a long walk today just in case. I could probably use the extra 500 calories!

My other problem is that I don't eat much during the day--small breakfast and lunch and when I get home from work I'm STARVING!! I know I need to rectify that.
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes it is a true binge. I was hesitant to post because I find it frustrating when people talk about eating 6 cookies as a binge. I feel completely taken over and I can't stop until I am full to the point of being in pain. I do have a bunch of books and get it under control for periods of time. I am just in a spiral right now and am trying to crawl out. It's like being a recovered drug addict... It's just my drug is so available. I have been trying to eat through out the day. This is hard because I am a hairstylist and I am running all day. I try to keep quick grab items. My binging is a very emotional experience. I am not sure how much it has to do with food in the end. I am not a large person and most people would have no idea this is something I would struggle with. Last night was bad and I used laxatives...an old habit that I had stopped. I just realized I needed to reach out and also put it out to acknowledge it to myself. I am hoping by taking responsibility and not hiding it, I can get it back under control quickly.
  • Rdlm1001
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and ideas. When I joined this site I was insistent in my head that I would log everything in, even a binge. Honestly I hadn't binged in awhile so didn't expect it to come on. Probably the combination of calorie logging and the stuff in my life the last couple of weeks is what set me off. I appreciate knowing I am not alone in this... Some times I just feel like a freak because I don't know anyone that does this too.
  • AeshaKSha
    Options
    PLEASE, PLEASE READ THIS BOOK. I USE TO BINGE, TOO. OUT OF CONTROL SUGAR AND JUNK FOOD CRAZY! I CAME ACROSS THIS BOOK SEARCHING THE WEB. WHEN YOU CUT THE SUGAR OUT YOUR DIET, YOU STOP CRAVING AT NIGHT AND YOU LOSE MORE WEIGHT AND INCHES.
    Get the Sugar Out, 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet [Paperback]
    Ann Louise Gittleman
  • Rdlm1001
    Options
    Ok, so just having this forum has helped. I drove home tonight and could start feeling my binge justification coming on. I had a hard day. I just want to curl up with food and t.v. I made myself turn on the computer and read what you all wrote. Thank you for those that friend requested. Now my head is back on straight and I am not going to binge. Aeshksha, I don't eat sugar during the day. Actually I don't eat much sugar at all. My problem is an emotional reaction to stress and what I actually eat is more salt savory stuff. Like pizza, burritos, Chinese food ect... I just have to figure out a way to comfort myself. Always been my challenge. Nothing ever feels as good as food in the moment. Everything else feels like an act. Like when I make tea and take a shower and give myself a pedi.... I feel like I am just acting like a healthy person. I just wish having a healthy relationship with food was my reality:( I have it for awhile. Even as long as 6-8 months. When the s**t hits the fan though, I am always back to my old friend. I keep telling myself I am abusing myself with food. Today my stomach hurt so bad from the binge and laxatives last night, yet on the drive home I could feel myself justifying again. GRRRRRR.