Birth control effectiveness with weightloss

Options
Hey everyone I have an important question. I don't think the pill is effected by weightloss, but I know that the implant in your arm is because it goes by weight. Does anyone know if the shot is effected or not? I have gotten the shot since my son was born in July, and haven't had any problems or a period since then, just some spotting. I got it again the first week of January, and since then have lost almost 20lbs, now for the last week or so I have gotten a light period. I am wondering if the weightloss is effecting the birth control? I love my son to death, but can do without another one for a year or so! lol. Any ideas? I tried to call my dr's office, but of course she's on vacation this week. lol

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I would call your doctor on that one. I don't think it would be affected, but it's best to know for sure.
  • frogtox
    Options
    If you weigh less than when you got your implant, the only risk you run is having too many hormones. I don't think this would reduce the efficacy of the birth control... but it isn't something you would want long term. I also think you'd have to lose a bunch of weight in order for it to make that much of a difference. But, I'd call if you're worried... it seems like it'd be an easy enough question to ansewr.