Your views on free weekends or free days?

Options
There are some foods that I LOVE to eat that would definitely NOT be considered healthy food. I am neurotic about dieting and eating healthy and my brain is/has never been good at doing anything in moderation. I would never let myself eat a chicken wing if I was on a full-time healthy lifestyle kick. In order to maintain my sanity and not feel like I am depriving myself of things that I love, I give myself free days on the weekends. Usually a Saturday or Sunday where I can turn my brain off, do whatever I want, and eat however I please.

What this does for me is allow me to control my urges for unhealthy food by giving them a goal date. I wont say that I cant eat pizza or wings because they are bad for me, just that I cant eat them until the weekend. It kills the craving for the time being and generally when the weekend comes there is a whole other craving that I can take care of.

How do you guys think the free weekend effects me physically? Do you think it is an unhealthy precedent to set physically and mentally?

Replies

• allehp
    allehp Posts: 96
    Options
    I have always been told that having "free" weekends and dieting during the week is a great way to maintain your weight, but not to lose weight. Having a free day or weekend about once a month is perfectly fine though, and does wonders for your sanity! :)
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    yea i agree, a full weekend is a bit much. i know id def throw myself off track. once or twice a month you can splurge but i wouldnt go nuts. that just makes me wanna eat bad again and aagain!!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Tried it... didn't work for me. I found that I was spending all of my time that day obsessing about eating everything I liked... I was consuming wayyyy too many calories and was keeping myself in a standing position with weight. I'm just starting this week, but I'm doing maintenance calories on the weekends and weight loss calories during the week. Coupled with the extra time to work-out harder, that's anywhere from 1,000-1,500 extra calories on Saturday and Sunday without killing my weight loss (at least in theory). That's a ton of extra food! We'll see how it goes..
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have always been told that having "free" weekends and dieting during the week is a great way to maintain your weight, but not to lose weight. Having a free day or weekend about once a month is perfectly fine though, and does wonders for your sanity! :)

Did they ever explain why it wasn't a good way to lose weight? I do it and when I put my mind to it, I can get the weight off pretty effectively, but I have mentioned it to people and some suggest that it isnt healthy. I can't see why it isnt and they dont know why it isn't, they just feel it isn't.

@Karleen...try gorging yourself on whatever the bad food is. LOL...if I do a bad Saturday dinner, I wake up with a food hangover and the same remorse that people get from alcohol hangovers, vowing to never eat chicken lomein and ben and jerrys again.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I like having a free day but I tend to keep in mind my calories for a maintain day. on a normal day I am only allowed 1290 cals to lose 2lb a week but on a maintain day I can consume 2000cals its my belief that if I eat within a maintain calorie day then it won't hinder my weight loss. the other thing I do to cure my cravings is have a bad food snack every day I have 3 meals and 3 snacks each snack is normally 100 -150 cals so I have a 100 cal bag of crisps or a 150cal chocolate biscuit but only for 1 snack the other 2 are supposed to be healthy choice snacks x
  • reikichris
    Options
    You can fit some of the fun foods into your diet without going over your calories as long as you do so in moderation. My family does take out Friday every week. We order pizza, Indian food, Taco Bell, Applebee's etc. I can have two pieces of Veggie Pizza or 1/3 container of take out Indian with 1 cup of rice without going over my daily allotted calories. Sometimes I have to do a little extra cardio to fit it in (Zaxbys) but it is soooo worth it.

You can fit the fun foods into your diet. You just need to find a balance, or, as allehp mentioned, you will likely find that you are able to maintain, but not lose.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    For me, I prefer to, say, save enough calories to have a "free" meal once in a while, but I know that certain foods are bad for me and they have gotten me to where I am today, desp trying to lose weight... so my brain knows its not worth it, and I usually can distract myself from the cravings when they come, or just have a tiny piece of something (like .5 slice of pizza, or a thin crust slice) and stuff myself with raw veggies and water to kill the hunger. So far, it has been working. Once I get to my goal weight, maybe I'll let up once in a while (once a month, a meal a week? It depends on how my body takes it and what it is I really want to eat, but that's a slippery slope). I KNOW that having 2500 cals worth of cheese fries is not an app i'd ever order again, no matter what. I know that a cheeseburger amounting to nearly 1500 cals is simply not worth it. Not even on a day i'm super good with cals. Why do so much damage to myself, to my body, just to satisfy a momentary desire? Once I get my body to look the way I want, I would think I'd want to cherish it and give it the best of everything, not keep pushing its limits with bad foods...
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way!! After working out 40+ times last month and on goal for daily this month I am exhausted! I'm going out of town for V-Day and plan on NOT working out, eating 1 meal a day where I eat what I want, not what is healthiest for me. I think that all of my focus has started to chip away at my desire to workout in the early mornings (easy cardio and yoga, not hard work, just early!). I am still doing hard workouts in the evening but..... you know, feel myself getting a bit off track.

So I think an occasional non-diet/healthy whatever you call it weekend is in order. I hope to come back refreshed and revved up for another month and a half of kickin' some serious *kitten*!
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    If you really approach this from a 'healthy lifestyle' perspective, rather than a 'cheating on my diet' perspective, than I think it is important to incorporate those things you just can't give up - I don't necessarily do a 'cheat day,' I still log what I eat, and try to stay near my calorie goal, maybe get an extra workout in that day or the next, but I don't call anything necessarily off limits - We went to pizza ranch (buffet) as a family last weekend, and I still ate some pizza - just not as much as I normally would - had more salad and fresh veggies than usual, made sure the pizza was thin crust and that the toppings were to the healthier end of the spectrum. My hubby also recently deep fried some jalapeno poppers at home (grrrrr.....I LOVE those!) and I had one, rather than 6 :)

I think it's important to try to make this something you can live with long term, rather than something you'll quit eventually because you feel deprived.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually do one bad takeout meal every 2 weeks if i am really craving it. Since i am starting out, I won't do it until I see the scale drop some. My friend used to do ww but never on the weekends. I could never do that but it works for some though.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    free days and free weekends are no good, if your serious about reaching your goals then you need to focus and stop thinking about unhealthy food. I only have had 3 cheat meals since september, and I dont crave fast food anymore which was my reason for being over weight.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I give myself one meal each day of the weekend. So maybe we go to lunch or dinner Saturday and then I cook dinner Sunday. I eat healthy the rest of the day and don't binge on my free meal, but I do get to taste what I have been wanting. My sister and husband have been doing this for 12 months now and have lost 70 & 75 pounds each. I just started in January and have lost 20...hope this helps.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    If you really approach this from a 'healthy lifestyle' perspective, rather than a 'cheating on my diet' perspective, than I think it is important to incorporate those things you just can't give up - I don't necessarily do a 'cheat day,' I still log what I eat, and try to stay near my calorie goal, maybe get an extra workout in that day or the next, but I don't call anything necessarily off limits - We went to pizza ranch (buffet) as a family last weekend, and I still ate some pizza - just not as much as I normally would - had more salad and fresh veggies than usual, made sure the pizza was thin crust and that the toppings were to the healthier end of the spectrum. My hubby also recently deep fried some jalapeno poppers at home (grrrrr.....I LOVE those!) and I had one, rather than 6 :)

I think it's important to try to make this something you can live with long term, rather than something you'll quit eventually because you feel deprived.

Notice I am not calling it a "cheat day", I call it a "free day." A cheat day is inherently bad. A free day is not.
    And I completely agree with what you are saying about long term goals and deprivation. If I resent the fact, on some level, that I cant eat something or have something that I want, then it is self-defeating and damaging, at least in my mind.

@shreddingit...I don't agree with you at all. To say that something coin something as 'no good' or to suggest that people serious about reaching their goals need to prescribe to a specific standard without offering any real evidence or support statements doesn't really seem to contribute. Can you elaborate as to why they are 'no good' and why goals cannot be met having them?
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I agree that this is a lifestyle not a diet, I've thought about this a lot and don't think "cheat days" would work for me. I don't think that I am depriving myself either, I allow myself a piece of pizza or a square of chocolate. I'm just getting into this clean eating and what I wonder is if people take the day off from logging too? I don't see the point of that, I mean I ate what I wanted on Christmas and New Year, but its all in here and seeing what it was makes me wonder if I'll ever do it again, my next potential cheat day will be 3/31 on my birthday and I am undecided how to deal with it. I know I already told my coworkers no cake or pie. Maybe when I'm maintaining or even not morbidly obese I'll look at it differently. Interested in seeing more responses here.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    I agree that this is a lifestyle not a diet, I've thought about this a lot and don't think "cheat days" would work for me. I don't think that I am depriving myself either, I allow myself a piece of pizza or a square of chocolate. I'm just getting into this clean eating and what I wonder is if people take the day off from logging too? I don't see the point of that, I mean I ate what I wanted on Christmas and New Year, but its all in here and seeing what it was makes me wonder if I'll ever do it again, my next potential cheat day will be 3/31 on my birthday and I am undecided how to deal with it. I know I already told my coworkers no cake or pie. Maybe when I'm maintaining or even not morbidly obese I'll look at it differently. Interested in seeing more responses here.

Cristy, I see your point and I think that maybe I tend to generalize and apply my situation to the situation of others. I weigh 177 lbs and my goal is to lose about 20 more. When I get there I will see how I feel, but I think that I will start feeling better and almost normal again somewhere around 162, so I am only 15 lbs off from that goal. I have gone up and down with my weight a good deal, so I know how to make it come off. It is just keeping pace. If I were to lose 20 lbs over the next 3 months, I would be content with that. I look at it and think, "Well, if I am on point 85 percent of the time or 90 percent of the time and I slack here and there, but with controlled slacking, I will be on track."
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    i eat what i want all week so long as i dont go over my calories. for the week.. it does not matter about the odd day
  • shanolap
    Options

Notice I am not calling it a "cheat day", I call it a "free day." A cheat day is inherently bad. A free day is not.
    And I completely agree with what you are saying about long term goals and deprivation. If I resent the fact, on some level, that I cant eat something or have something that I want, then it is self-defeating and damaging, at least in my mind.

@shreddingit...I don't agree with you at all. To say that something coin something as 'no good' or to suggest that people serious about reaching their goals need to prescribe to a specific standard without offering any real evidence or support statements doesn't really seem to contribute. Can you elaborate as to why they are 'no good' and why goals cannot be met having them?

I agree that it's not a "cheat day" but a "free day". If what you want to eat is french fries and gorge on them is not condusive to losing weight. I eat as much clean food as possible, plan all my meals a week in advance, allow within my calories a glass of wine AND chocolate and do this as my typical LIFESTYLE. For my free day, I am going to have the filet mignon WITH bleu cheese and a nice pinot and probably an appetizer (which is a typical no-no for me). What I am not going to do is eat half a pizza. I will keep in mind what the sodium, alcohol calories and cheese (yummmm) will do to my goals and imbide accordingly. I plan on switching my goals to mainteance and logging daily. Betcha I lose a pound by Monday!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want in moderation whenever rather than waiting for one day. I log it, am mindful of my calories for the day and this approach is working really well for me. I'd say 80% of the time I eat pretty healthy with 20% things that folks would say isn't good for me. My issue has always been quantity so as long as I only eat 2 cookies instead of an entire bag, I've made a change for the better that I can maintain and live with forever.

Also, I plan ahead for those "big days"-Super Bowl, Christmas, Thanksgiving, anniversaries and birthdays. I get a super big workout in that day and the day before (sometimes the day after too!) so I have the calorie room.
  • shanolap
    Options
    I eat what I want in moderation whenever rather than waiting for one day. I log it, am mindful of my calories for the day and this approach is working really well for me. I'd say 80% of the time I eat pretty healthy with 20% things that folks would say isn't good for me. My issue has always been quantity so as long as I only eat 2 cookies instead of an entire bag, I've made a change for the better that I can maintain and live with forever.

Also, I plan ahead for those "big days"-Super Bowl, Christmas, Thanksgiving, anniversaries and birthdays. I get a super big workout in that day and the day before (sometimes the day after too!) so I have the calorie room.

That's what I'm talking about!!!!
  • kitta3
    kitta3 Posts: 84
    Options
    I allow myself one bad day.. and I dont go too overboard
    for me, it keeps me going or else I'd quit every diet
    seems to work for me!

I say, if its going to keep you going on this diet, and keep you motivated, then have one day.
    dont go CRAZY but enjoy yourself