ANGRRRRRRRRY and Irritated...

Options
I have now been eating right and exercising for 3 weeks. I go to my boot camp class 5 days a week and burn about 375+ calories each time. I then eat rather healthy every day.

I also go to a hula hooping for fitness class every Tuesday for an hour.

Don't get me wrong, I am losing weight. About .5 lbs per week. Which is IRRITATING ME!

Because there is a girl at my work who is on Weight Watchers and she is not exercising at all and she has lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. She has had to actually UP her food intake to above her points in order to stop the velocity of her weight loss!!! She was just complaining about it this morning.

So she's sitting there eating a bagel with cream cheese and will end up losing weight today.

And I am sitting here with my cup of water and my sore thighs and I will probably lose NO WEIGHT this week. I may lose inches, but she's losing those too!

And it just makes me soooo upset.

It's like, WHY AM DOING THIS TO MYSELF? Why am I spending so much time exercising, losing valuable sleep and valuable time with my fiance and my pets and valuable time that I could use planning my wedding by going to a boot camp when it isn't doing anything???

I thought the principal of weight loss was simple: burn more calories than you take in!

But apparently I was WRONG WRONG WRONG...

It's just making me soooo upset.

Has anyone else noticed this and what do you suggest I do?

Would going to Weight Watchers in addition to my Boot Camp help? Is it worth the EVEN MORE time I would take away from my life?

I just feel like it is now consuming me and that I am doing nothing but watch everyone around me have tons of success while I have very little success and I am soooo desperate to see some visible result that I am now feeling will never come.

I try to push on, especially when I see the Food Diary tell me that I could weigh 170.7 lbs in 5 weeks. And I tell myself I can do it...and then I see myself not making that progress despite how hard I am working to do everything right or at least better than I've ever done them before. And it's just maddening. It makes me want to just give up.

Suggestions? Help? Mental therapy?

Replies

• cassidystreasures
    Options
    how many calories are you eating? are you eating your exercise calories back? Also your friend might be losing water weight! My first week i lost 4 lbs and could see my ankle bones! so it was deffently water weight
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's a sad sad fact that some people are just going to lose it faster than others.
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    girl friend, never compare your own weight loss to some one else, instead take some inspiration from that chick! everyones body is different, and will react differenctly, also your only 3 weeks in, GOOD! keep at it..

good luck and dont give up, ever!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Okay, you are doing GREAT!!! 1/2 a pound is HEALTHY! I don't believe in comparing you to others because we all lose weight differently BUT your WW friend WILL GAIN ALL THAT WEIGHT BACK AND MORE!!! You are the smart cookie who is doing everything right (and cheaper I must add). Keep doing your boot camp, drinking water, and eating well and you will be great. If the bootcamp gets "easy" than switch it up to avoid hitting a plateau. Avoid comparing yourself to others and focus on YOUR PROGRESS take pictures, measure, notice how your clothes fit...it is all about those non scale victories (NSV) at the beginning.

I know you can and WILL do this...hang in there and just focus on you!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?? Have at least 3 quarts a day. And eating back your exercise calories--make sure you do this. Try doing both of these things and see what the scale says after a week, hon. Hang in there!!! :flowerforyou:
  • lolafilana
    Options
    hey dont sweat it, everyone is different. body types and metabolism types. it seems like its not good enough for you but i think that .5lbs a week is awesome, that adds up to 2lbs a month. i think thats a healthy way to lose weight so dont sweat it! :happy:
  • frogtox
    Options
    How heavy are you? If you don't have a lot to lose, you probably won't lose as quickly as someone heavier. Having said that... I weigh 150#, which isn't THAT big, and 0.5 lbs a week would frustrate me too.

If you're working out you may be building muscle and replacing fat (low net weight loss). Are your clothes fitting more loosely?

I looked at your food diary and it doesn't look bad. You may try to eat more fruits and veggies, which have loads of fiber and help things 'keep moving through' so to speak.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The scale can be an evil little thing. You did say you were losing inches and not weight. It could be possible that you're building muscle and that's why you don't see the scale move as much. We're all different and will lose weight differently. I know it can be frustrating. Keep at it, and you will notice a difference! Good luck!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your food diary and your calories look good. The only glaring thing is the absence of a big VOLUME of fresh fruits and veggies. I'd swap out some of the ready-to-eat foods for some water and nutrient rich veggies and fruits. And your exercise is paying off. Remember that it's not what you weigh, as much as it is what you are made of. You are likely improving your body composition (hanging onto lean and losing fat). That's a good way.

As long as you're measuring correctly and what you're logging in food is accurate, my best tip is to amp up the fresh veggies and fruits and to find a way to weigh in every week that includes learning what your body fat percentage is and tracking that (I track date, body weigh, body fat percentage, lean body weigh and fat weight). That'll tell you the real story that a scale simply can't (unless it's a quality scale that DOES track those things).
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're only getting about 1000 net calories per day. Most people need at least 1200 net calories in order to keep their body functioning properly. Getting fewer calories than your body needs will make your metabolism slow down and you'll store fat instead of burning it. You need to eat your exercise calories. I eat all of mine and I lose 1-2 pounds per week. You should also stay away from artificial sweeteners. They make your body release insulin (just like natural sugar does) and that stops your body from burning fat.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hmm. It's hard to compare yourself to others. It's not fair, really, because your biological makeup is totally different from theirs. Genetics, metabolism, hormones, we are all very unique creatures.

So, stop comparing yourself. Sustainable weight loss, IS .5 to 2 lbs. a week. Metabolism re-set takes time. I know it's frustrating, but you owe it to yourself to be patient.

I am, admittedly, the most impatient person on the planet. Every single day, since I started counting diligently and working out daily, I have had to remind myself, I didn't put the weight on overnight, or in days or even in weeks. It took time. And so will losing it. You're on the right track. Don't give up!!

(I also would vote you stick to what you are doin, and skip the WW venture. It will a. cost money, and you get MFP for free, and b. make you use up more valuable time).

Stick to your plan. Stay positive. You can do this.
  • hmschultz
    Options
    Please remember, she is doing nothing but changing her eating habits! YOU are working your buns off, and soon you WILL see the results. You are gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat!! There is no greater discouragement than not seeing those numbers move. Trust me, I have been there and it makes you want to cry! I would recommend putting that scale away for a while and forgetting it, or at the very least limit yourself to one weigh in per week. I hope that helps a little bit! Keep up the great work!
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    MFP is a way of life-- not a diet. Your friend on weight watchers will never keep her weight off if she never changes her over-all food choices and never exercises. You'll win in the end.
    Stay focused-- don't let pigs distract you.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You are probably gaining muscle from all your classes your doing (which is great! Keep it up!) I always tell people to remember muscle weighs more than fat. If you are losing inches then you are on the right track. Eventually all the muscle you are building will help you burn more fat, thus loose pounds faster. Also, to lose visceral, the fat that is usually built up in our mid section, you have to exercise and do cardio, not just watch what you eat. She is probably loosing more muscle mass then anything right now, along with the water weight. When it comes to the visceral fat, she'll eventually have to exercise to lose those pounds.

Keep it up, don't get discouraged. Also remember if you lose weight to fast it can lead to rebound weight. I feel your pain, trust me! But .5lbs a week is A LOT worth celebrating and all that lean muscle your building - well you'll thank yourself in the long run!! :)
  • nerak3401
    nerak3401 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try to focus on other things besides just the weight. Do you FEEL stronger? Girl, you're in a Boot Camp! You're going to look fit and fab and Miss I'm-Not-Exercising will just look flab! Look at how committed you are! It IS worth the time you give up because you're worth it. Everyone loses weight differently, but don't give up what you're doing. I've gone 2 rounds of WW. I lost weight, but points don't transfer to real life. There's nothing WW offers that MFP doesn't. I actually prefer MFP now :tongue: Anyway, keep on keepin on!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Also, after peeking at your diary, you don't seem to be getting enough calories. If you go under 1200, your body goes into starvation mode- you will not lose weight that way, and if you do, it will be in valuable muscle tissue, instead of fat. Try and stay at 1200 net, daily.
  • MrsMartin2
    MrsMartin2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! Don't think about what she is doing. The weight is coming off for you and YOU are gaining muscle. Way better! Plus, she most likely won't do weight watchers for the rest of her life, but you on the other hand, can exercise and eat normal healthy food. That is the problem with weight watchers, when it's all over and you are at the weight you want to be, you have no idea how to keep it!
  • MightyMom4
    Options
    Stick with it. When I first started a few weeks ago my neighbor and I decided to be partners in weight loss. We both went about it in different ways. Hers was just to change her eating habits and mine was like you. I started my food plan on here and decided I was going to work out. I was frustrated because she was shedding pounds like crazy...where as I was actually gaining a little weight. Well, wouldn't you know, she has now stopped losing and I've now surpassed her in pounds lost. My weight is consistantly dropping about 2lbs now for the last 3 wks. You should really take measurements if you haven't. You are probably toning and building muscle (which weighs more than fat) Stick with it, the scale will catch up. P.S. my neighbor is now working out too...hehe!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    That B*tch! Lets just sit back in the glory of knowing that she may get there faster but you will keep it off! What happens to her when she gets to her goal weight? She stops weight watchers and is left to her own devices and BOOM! goes right back. What about you? You changed your lifestyle, you are the tortoise my friend, and you will win this race in the long run! You will stay healthy for the rest of your life! You will walk up the stairs while she waits for the crowded sweaty elevator! You will park in the back of the parking lot while she drives around and tries to avoid the carts near the front of the store! You are the winner! You rock and you are doing an awesome job!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Coz guess what... without any exercise, her weight loss will eventually slow down... and without any exercise she is not ramping up her metabolism and without exercise her body won't be as sensational as yours. You will be fit and toned and will have energy for days (and you'll probably learn a lot more about nutrition too) and she won't have any of that. I did WW... I know how it works.