I have absolutely no idea how to figure out how record home

Options
(sorry, the title should be " I have absolutely no idea how to figure out how record home-cooked meals" it must have been too long!)

I just joined this week, and so far, most of what I've eaten has been pretty easy to find in the database. I love this site and how easy it is for me to record what I'm eating!

However, I'm planning on making shepherd's pie tonight - essentially a meat and potato casserole. I will be using 93/7 ground turkey, homemade mashed potatoes, and corn, as well as butter and milk. Let's say I eat 1 cup of that - how would I be able to figure out the calorie/fat/carb content? Should I estimate based on the ingredients already in the database?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• seder710
    seder710 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can enter it as a recipe and then determine how many servings it is. Then just say how many servings you eat.

Go to the food tab and select recipes.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Go to your "recipes" tab under the food tab and you can make a recipe there. You just add all the ingredients and then it will divide the totals by how many servings you say you are making. I have a lot of these in my system and it's nice because I don't have to do a lot of adding separate foods, I just can add a recipe I've already entered.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Go into the food tab and go to recipes...then create your own recipe. That's how I do it. You can say how many servings are in the item and it breaks that all down for you after entering how much of everything you use!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    create the recipe under your recipes with this site and it will divide up how much is on each serving.
  • accipiter
    Options
    Oh! I didn't even realize there was a way to do that! Thank you so much :) I'm still discovering all the little ways to use this site!
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The way I've done it with my recipes is I add up all the ingredents together and the tell it that the serving size is a fration of the entire batch. I did that before they added the recipes opton, so I just did that under my foods.
  • hiltonheadagain
    Options
    A really great feature of this site is you can figure out calories of homemade meals! Go to the place where you "track food", look at the tabs bar (blue bar at the top) and find where it says "recipes". You will input all of your ingredients and then it will calculate calorie content per serving. You will find it simple to do.
  • alebalestra
    alebalestra Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can find the calories for this meal on the database and use that amount. I also put all the ingredientes, for example if I cook Venezuelan style black beans, I add all the ingredients that I will eat (one cap of black beans, olive oil, cilantro, one slice of bacon, salt, ham 1 oz) You can see my Diary, I have all the food that I eat, but I am not eating all separate, I am preparing meals. Also I prepared beef bourguignone, and I added all the ingredients. I hope it helps.
  • accipiter
    Options
    I'm so happy to have gotten so many great replies. Thank you all so much for your help! I entered all the ingredients into my recipes tab, so I can save it for future meals!