p90x quetion

Options
I was wondering if you would recommend it for a girl who is unfit. I am thinking about buying it. I see everyone amazing transformation and makes we want to buy it more. But I am extremely unfit. I am out of breath after my 1 hr zumba class so what do you say. I got to lose 80lbs so I saw this as a good ideal plus my husband said if he saw results from me he would do it to then.

Please everyone leave your opens..

Also anyway to do chins without a chin up bar we are going to move to a trailer and the never have an area in them for one

Replies

• iupfem22
    iupfem22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about p90x myself. I looked up some reviews online and they say that you should be somewhat fit to do it. I also don't wanna spend the money if I won't be able to do it. I wish I had an answer, but some friends have done it and love it!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Before I started doing P90X, I did Power 90. That is a GREAT place to start and for about half the cost.
  • txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have hip hop abs and silm in 6 would you recommend me do one of those then p90x. lol though i would ask that too. They are just sitting there
  • anamercedez
    Options
    I jusy bought it,im on week 2 and im unfit,its very intense but its a really good workout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I do the lean program. I really like it. It's worth a shot. I don't have a pull up bar so we use bands instead. He shows you on the video how to do bands instead of pull up bars.
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I woul suggest starting with a different product of their's first. It's on their website and it's called Power 90 and it was the precursor to P90X. It's a fairly simple program, less than an hour, but a great workout. Last time I was on here regualrly and using it to workout, I lost 20 -25 lbs on it. All you need for it is dubells or exercis bands.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I second the P90 first...My husband and I both just started a week ago and it's much more to our fitness level. I would definitely recommend starting there first as the X stands for Xtreme in P90X!!

Good luck!
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Before I started doing P90X, I did Power 90. That is a GREAT place to start and for about half the cost.

Agree completely with this! I had completed Power 90 years ago and now that I'm doing P90X I am SOOOO glad I did that program first! I would absolutely suggest starting there....it isn't recommended for people to start P90X unless they're able to pass a 'fit test' first. I'm told you can find it online.

If it were me, knowing what I know, I would start with Power 90. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can do it even if you are unfit because you can modify every single move to something less strenuous. For legal reasons, they have a fit test which can be found at http://www.decidetostayfit.com/p90xFitTest.pdf which they say you should be able to do. I doubt most people pass the fit test in all aspects so I wouldn't worry about it. I couldn't do 3 good pullups when I started which is a requirement for a male. The only thing is if you are too out of shape, you may get discouraged or hurt yourself if pushing too hard. One of the other ones may be better if you are questioning it.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I ordered it yesterday after a LOT of research. The deciding factor for me is I KNOW it is going to kick my butt and I KNOW I won't be able to do everything on the videos the first go-around. I have been doing a lot of cardio on the elliptical and I feel ready for the cardio portion, but I know I am going to struggle on the weight training portion. I think the biggest thing is to not have unrealistic expectations of what you can do in the early going and DO YOUR BEST. It isn't a waste of money if you don't do everything right off of the bat. If anything, you save money because you have the ability to do the same program over and over until you are a pro and are in the best shape of your life.

My two cents...good luck to you!
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I echo what jram said. The program is highly flexible. It often takes people a few rounds before they can complete it, but by doing your best you get stronger and leaner every day.
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    It is pretty tough but acheivable. I'm 4 weeks in and I am able to keep up completely with them. Just take it at your pace and you will definitely get there....great results from it too!
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was unfit before I started P90X. I was the girl in high school who always skipped gym class so I was never one to do anything "physical" lol. I can't even say enough how fantastic P90X is and how much it changed my life! My husband and I did 2 rounds of it. Plus, Tony always shows you modifications. In the Plyometrics DVD, one of the guys has a prosthetic leg so it can absolutely be adjusted to ANY fitness level :smile:
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Agree completely with this! I had completed Power 90 years ago and now that I'm doing P90X I am SOOOO glad I did that program first! I would absolutely suggest starting there....it isn't recommended for people to start P90X unless they're able to pass a 'fit test' first. I'm told you can find it online.

If it were me, knowing what I know, I would start with Power 90. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

Did you get visible results with the P90??
  • hiltonheadagain
    Options
    The Beachbody site for P90X highly recommends that you are somewhat fit before you begin the program. I have the dvds and was discouraged when I first attempted to use them because they are very challenging. Consequently, I set them aside in a drawer for a long time while I went on to use other dvds and classes at the gym to shape up a bit. You might want to consider some of the Jillian Michaels dvds. While these are not easy, they are a lot less expensive ($8 at Costco) and require a shorter time commitment per session (half an hour vs. 1hr. for P90X). That being said, if you do get the P90X, it is easily adaptable. Just do whatever you can do at the time. I think their motto is "do your best and forget the rest". They show modified exercises using an exercise band for pull-ups. You will just need to be able to hook your band up on something high. I've put mine in the crack of an open bedroom door and that works (the handles of the band are then on each side of the door--does that make sense???)
    Best wishes!
  • readytoshredlbs
    Options
    Hello All,

Thi is a great question and one thing you can do to see if you are ready for P90X is go to the website and take the physical fitness test. After putting in your results it will tell you weather you are ready for P90X or not.

If you are not ready you can do what I did..(I was 250+ pounds when I was ready for a change in my life) I started with the Power 90 program also developed by Tony Horton. I started with Power 90 disc one for about 60 days, then went to Power 90 disc 2 for about 45 days, from there I took the physically fitness test and passes everything but the pull ups and was ready to start P90X. I lost 20lbs doing the Power 90 first..

With that said, I did not monitor my food intake while doing the Power 90, I wish I watched my food intake because i know I would have lost a lot more...

Now I am in the P90X, watching my calorie intake, and I feel better then ever...
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    I was going to ask this same question. I've been doing 30 Day Shred to work up to doing P90x. I'm so scared...
  • caburk02
    caburk02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Insanity for someone who doesn't think they're ready for P90x. My husband, my obese roommate, and I all did it and while it kicks your butt, it's made for you to suck at, then get better as you go along.

I personally had to stop because of joint pain (there is a lot of jumping and if, like me, you have back or feet problems, I wouldn't suggest it), but I am a wussy little thing that was able to get through two weeks of it, so I think just about anyone could try it.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Anyone can use it. You scale the intensity and work your way up. If you've never lift weights then it's perfect. Weightlifting 101 that works best for a beginner, some decent cardio,, and a 6 day schedule so it becomes habit. Just remember, the nutrition guide does not put you at a calorie shortage. You will have make sure you introduce a deficit to lose weight.
  • readytoshredlbs
    Options
    The only thing I can say when it comes to P90X and weight loss is patience. You probably will not lose "scale" weight over the first 30 to 45 days you will however lose inches. Remember 1 pound of fat = 1 pound of Muscle. So do not measure yourself soly on the "scale" measure how you feel week over week and how does your pants feel week over week....

readytoshredlbs@beachbodycoach.com

Good luck with all your fitness goals!

Mike