Supplement Timing

Options
I work out (intense cardio and weight program) about 5 times weekly, and want to maximize my training I'm looking to take my sups at the right time of day... If I workout after dinner time, I take the recommended scoop of Protein immediately after. Should I also take more in the evening before bed? What about BCAA? when should this come into the picture? I'd be interested in learning what people take and when (any supplements). Thx.

Replies

• Abrou
    Abrou Posts: 3
    Options
    I work out (intense cardio and weight program) about 5 times weekly, and want to maximize my training I'm looking to take my sups at the right time of day... If I workout after dinner time, I take the recommended scoop of Protein immediately after. Should I also take more in the evening before bed? What about BCAA? when should this come into the picture? I'd be interested in learning what people take and when (any supplements). Thx.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't know what BCAA is, but I drink a protein shake after my workout... I find it helps w/ the soreness. I've read several places that you need to consume protein after a workout to help repair your muscles.
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Options
    There is a great book titled Nutrient Timing that goes into great length telling you what you need to take and when. It is available used on Amazon for under $10. The short story is that there seems to be a 45 minute window of opportunity after exercise to maximize your gains. The authors suggest ingesting either a 3-1, or 4-1 ratio of carbs to proteins during the 45 minutes after exercise. This is the one time when you can allow at least some of the carbs to be simple. The simple carbs will raise your insulin level and insulin acts as a key to open up muscle cells to be receptive to the nutrients that you are taking in.
  • Abrou
    Abrou Posts: 3
    Options
    Awsome - thanks.

This was my first post, I was also curious to find out what types of individuals were a part of this network. I'll let you know how the book helps out.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I was also curious to find out what types of individuals were a part of this network.

LOTS of CRAZY ones!!!! :laugh:

:wink: