P90X exercise equipment

Options
I'll be giving P90X a shot fairly soon and was wondering what exercise equipment I should purchase if I follow the lean routine. I'm not really familiar with any of the workouts yet so I don't know exactly what to go out and buy. What kind of dumbbells will I need and how heavy should they be?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You'll need a pull up bar and dumbbells. You can use a resistance band if you want, but I like the others instead.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'll be giving P90X a shot fairly soon and was wondering what exercise equipment I should purchase if I follow the lean routine. I'm not really familiar with any of the workouts yet so I don't know exactly what to go out and buy. What kind of dumbbells will I need and how heavy should they be?

Good Luck to you! I was going to start out with doing lean, but after reading about it, i'm following with the classic, completed my 3rd day today, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Before starting, I bought a pull up bar, i got mine from amazon.com, just got the total gym, i have resistance medium bands from target, real cheap, and work really well, and then got a pair of 5lbs dumb bells, but will have to buy at least 8lbs, since they are a bit light. I do not have a yoga mat, but I have heard they are really what you need, as well as a yoga block! Hope this helped! Good Luck!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I use dumbbells ranging from 5 lbs to 12 lbs. There is one exercise that I use 3 lbs weights for (don't remember which exercise or which P90X workout). You will also need a chin up bar, but I use the BowFlex and just do pull downs...like the modification with the resistance bands.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Good Luck to you! I was going to start out with doing lean, but after reading about it, i'm following with the classic, completed my 3rd day today, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Before starting, I bought a pull up bar, i got mine from amazon.com, just got the total gym, i have resistance medium bands from target, real cheap, and work really well, and then got a pair of 5lbs dumb bells, but will have to buy at least 8lbs, since they are a bit light. I do not have a yoga mat, but I have heard they are really what you need, as well as a yoga block! Hope this helped! Good Luck!

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, why are you choosing to forgo the lean routine and switch to classic? I'm still confused about which one I'd like to follow!
  • LittleD311
    Options
    The Lean program is based on more cardio and less intesive. I decided that since I'm already going to the gym during the week as well, I'm getting enough cardio there. I'm probably going to do the lean program for round 2, so we will see!
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The Lean program is based on more cardio and less intesive. I decided that since I'm already going to the gym during the week as well, I'm getting enough cardio there. I'm probably going to do the lean program for round 2, so we will see!

Hmm sounds reasonable to me! I'm going to continue going to the gym for cardio, too, so I need to take that into consideration. I just want to do whatever plan that will get me lean and trim!
  • LittleD311
    Options

Hmm sounds reasonable to me! I'm going to continue going to the gym for cardio, too, so I need to take that into consideration. I just want to do whatever plan that will get me lean and trim!

I must be crazy to be doing my p90x work outs in the morning, and then going to the gym around 4pm with my friend, but i'm totally not pushing myself like i used to! Ive been at the gym for 3 months, and have been told that I look like i havent lost anything, so that is very discouraging. I am not big in any way, but I can tell im bigger than what im used to, i want to be able to fit back into my size 4 jeans! Good Luck!