triathlon?

ruddyrunner
ruddyrunner Posts: 43
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
At lunch today I attended a seminar called "Training for a Triathlon" presented by the wellness program where I work. And of course it has me thinking about perhaps doing a sprint triathlon this summer (750 meter swim, 14 mile bike, 5K run). I know it is still a ways off, but apparently registration tends to fill up quickly (around April), so I would need to decide in the next several weeks.

Background: I started C25K at the end of Oct '10, did first 5K Jan '11. Currently working to improve distance for possible 10K in April. So I'm a new runner (and fairly slow), but I've seen how well following a training schedule works. I'm a fairly strong swimmer, only go once/week right now but always do more than a mile, so pretty confident about that. What I worry about is the bike section. My area of upstate NY is full of hills so that kind of concerns me. Plus, no money for a fancy road bike; I have a fitness/hybrid bike that is several years old (Trek FX 7.2) which will have to suffice. So all in all, I'm a moderately good swimmer, an inexperienced biker, and a new/slow runner. My goal would just be to finish.

It seems like a great goal to reach out for, but it is also pretty scary signing up. Anyone else going to take the plunge and sign up? It would be great to have some online support. Anyone already jumped into triathlons? Advice? Experiences?

Thanks!

Replies

• k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Do it!! Make it your BHAG (Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal)!!!

Setting a goal is great motivation to get training and exercising, especially if you've told people you're going to do it. Accountability :wink: You don't have to win! You can come dead last and it's still a massive, wonderful achievement. You might even become addicted :smile:
  • Do it!!! I entered my first sprint tri last September, and I can honestly say it changed my life. I am also a slow runner, but am beginning to up my distance from 5k's to 10k. Biking is my strength as a Spinning instructor, so I was confident there. But I was a new swimmer. So I made sure that I spent more time on my form, and even took some lessons to improve. Maybe you can take some indoor cycling classes to increase your confidence on the bike. You don't need a road bike for sprint tri's; many people ride hybrid bikes in them.

I did a women's tri, that was billed to be supportive and perfect ofr beginners in Farmington, CT. You aren't too far away, perhaps that would be a good one to start with:
    http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/foundationnew/hmfevents/womensfitness.htm
    I just registered, and it registration does close when it fills, usually in late July/early August.

My goal too was just to finish, and it was awesome. In fact my profile pic here is of me crossing the finish line. I left in the 4th wave of swimmers (for the newbies!) and finished in about 1:53-ish. I'm hooked, and plan to do several more sprints this year, and maybe an Olympic distance next year. There are great books with training plans. I bought "The Woman Triathlete" by Christina Gandolfo and enjoyed it. Next I need to buy "The Slow Fat Triathlete", but eventually I want the word fat out of my description!

Good luck and let me know if you come to CT!
  • Thanks for the encouragement! I'm still mulling it over, but I'm leaning towards signing up.

Anyone else have any triathlon experiences?
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    DO IT! You have ALL the tools you need! I did the Olympic Distance Memphis in May Triathlon. I can tell you that I did that Tri on a hybrid Trek and it was PAINFUL. Everyone else had Road Bikes, and as they would pass me, they would mention my bike (not in a nasty way, more like in a 'wow I can't believe she can make this distance' way) I think for your distance it should be good, but if you get into it, you'll want to buy a road bike when you can afford one. I came right home and invested in a LeMond. The key is to train with the succession in mind, you will swim, bike then run. I definitely think you'll be great if you commit to train and practice transitions! I loved doing the Tri, and I hope eventually to do another some day. I'm fascinated with the Iron Man, but there is NO WAY I have time to train for that- I have a three year old! Let me know if you have questions, and I'll help in any way I can. Good Luck!
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    At the sprint and local level, you will see all abilities and all kinds of equipment choices. Its a pretty friendly atmosphere. Any bike will do as long as its USAT legal which basically just means no recumbent bikes. Just read the rules, so everyone stays safe on course.

In the process of training for my 3rd Ironman; been around the block a few times. I'm also a race official, so if you have questions about the rules fire away.....
This discussion has been closed.