Heart Rate Monitor on a Budget

MeredithLee11
MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So I'm looking to get a heart rate monitor so I can get an accurate calorie count when I do Zumba. The only thing is I'm not sure if I can afford a good one. Ideally, I'm on a budget of $60, but I'd spend more if it was a perfect monitor (comfortable, not too bulky). I don't need a tons of bells a whistles, just one that tells me heart rate and calories burned. Thanks!

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    I have seen them on Ebay for around $60 or so. Try Craigslist too. I hear Polars are a really good brand. That is the one I am looking to get and would like to spend less than $80.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    I bought mine from Wal-Mart, it was only $27.00. It's great! Regular watch, has a stop watch, timer, calorie counter, and of course heart monitor, its from SPORTLINE.

Its real easy to use, and works great during my p90x work outs, and at the gym!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Polar has some good ones. I got the FT7 for $100 on sale, and it is great--easy to use and comfortable (after the initial shock of the cold strap (that you have to wet) when you first put it on! There was a less expensive model when I bought it for around $70. The salesman said the main difference between them was being to directly upload to the internet on the FT7, and I think the lower priced model did not tell you what heart rate zone you were in, just the number of beats per minute. Both told calories. I would check these two out. Wish I could remember the model # for you, but a good salesman should be able to help. The main thing the salesman said was to be sure and get one with a chest strap.
  • I love my Polar FT4. It tells me my heart rate zone, what my heart rate is, how many calories I'm burning, duration of my workout and how long I was in my HR zone during my workout. It retails for around $85 but you could try to find it on ebay or on sale. I'd say making the investment in a reliable HRM will save you more money in the long run than having to replace one later. I did a lot of research beforehand and found that investing in one that has a chest strap is going to give you a more accurate reading.
  • MeredithLee11
    I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000ASDGU8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Has anyone heard anything about this model? It's really hard to get a consensus from the reviews.
  • mlally1014
    mlally1014 Posts: 119 Member
    I have a Timex HRM that I got on Amazon for about $40. It got great reviews and I also love it. I have had it almost a year and I still love it.
  • MeredithLee11
    @ xoxmalsxox Ugh! I got to the auction with a minute and a half left then my internet was being slow and dumb while I signed in so I missed it. I put a message out to the seller to make an offer though, since there were no bids on it.
    (I guess what I really wanted to do there was quote rather than reply. Newb :P )
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    UGH! Hate that! Hopefully you can get it! I am scoping Ebay out now for one :)
    @ xoxmalsxox Ugh! I got to the auction with a minute and a half left then my internet was being slow and dumb while I signed in so I missed it. I put a message out to the seller to make an offer though, since there were no bids on it.
    (I guess what I really wanted to do there was quote rather than reply. Newb :P )
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,275 Member
    I was checking ebay for one a few weeks back, but wondered if that was something okay to buy used???
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    The $40 Timex on Amazon is rated one of Consumer Reports' Best Buys. I picked it up and it works great. Maybe a little high on the calories burned; I am not sure yet.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    I bought a New Balance (as in the shoes) watch that tracks it all! It is called HRT FIT. I love it! tracks work outs, calories, steps taken, heart rate. $40.00. Right on budget!
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    I love my Polar FT4. It tells me my heart rate zone, what my heart rate is, how many calories I'm burning, duration of my workout and how long I was in my HR zone during my workout. It retails for around $85 but you could try to find it on ebay or on sale. I'd say making the investment in a reliable HRM will save you more money in the long run than having to replace one later. I did a lot of research beforehand and found that investing in one that has a chest strap is going to give you a more accurate reading.

I just bought the same one at sports authority it was 80 with a one year replacement plan from sports authority. It was marked 89.99 plus 11 for the warranty then SA gave 25 off for spending 100.
This discussion has been closed.