Bread related query..

Options
I'm a pretty fussy eater and one of the things I avoid is the crusts on my bread. I always enter the exact amount but figured I'm eating less because I don't eat the crusts. Should I just leave it and be happy to know I'm slightly under, or should I reduce what I've recorded by half a slice or so? I'm not fussed either way, just curious to see what other people might do.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I personally just leave it as the whole slice. Unless you weigh the bread with and without the crust and enter it as grams, anything else is just an estimate. So I'd say it's better to go higher than lower.

Like last night, I sliced up a single 40 calorie corn tortilla to split between the hubby and I as topping on a soup. I didn't use everything in the pan after I'd toasted it up (probably had 1/3 left) but I still counted it as 20 calories for what my half would have been.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would just start eating the bread crusts. If you're eating a whole grain bread (which you should, anything else has highly refined carbs that aren't good for you) they often have nuts or seeds or something on the crust and they're good for you.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I would just start eating the bread crusts. If you're eating a whole grain bread (which you should, anything else has highly refined carbs that aren't good for you) they often have nuts or seeds or something on the crust and they're good for you.

Totally agree with this as well. It was actually my first thought. But knowing some beyond ridiculously picky eaters has made me stop ever trying to convince folks like that otherwise. What's funny is that my sister and I just had a conversation last weekend about how the crusts of breads were often our favorite parts, for exactly what you said above. The grains and seeds and stuff make it so extra tasty!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    count the whole piece of bread. By breaking off the crust you are saving very few calories. thats my opinion.
  • xrockinrobyn
    xrockinrobyn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah I figured it'd be pointless but just wanted to know what others thought.

As for eating the crusts, bread can make me heave/gag anyway, I'm not a big bread fan but since dieting I've increased my intake. I'm never over my carbs so it's not a worry from that point of view, I was just curious.