Replies

• tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    bump! wish I could force others to read this too
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Who cares what the scale says. I don't get it. If you lost 2 lbs for the month of pure fat but the scale said you gained 3 lbs, you'd be upset. Which is completely illogical. The scale can't dictate your sense of progress when you're not overly fat. You're interested in losing fat and the scale is measuring fat, muscle, connective tissue, water, bowel matter, etc.

It's like trying to calculate your fuel usage in your car with a calculator and assumed rate of fuel consumption per mile. Actual consumption is comprised of many variables, so your likely not going to get an accurate reading with your calculator.

You're right, the weight thing is silly, but I'm having a hard time shaking it. I look leaner than my profile pic now, but weigh 2 or 3 pounds more. If the scale said 115 right now I'd probably declare myself pretty much done :laugh:

The problem with the calorie intake approach proposed is that you have to be really strict with your calories to know whether you need to increase or decrease at the end of the 2-4 weeks. So it seems impossible to lose weight without counting and weighing. Makes me sad :sad:
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    bump! wish I could force others to read this too

Spread the word please!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You're right, the weight thing is silly, but I'm having a hard time shaking it. I look leaner than my profile pic now, but weigh 2 or 3 pounds more. If the scale said 115 right now I'd probably declare myself pretty much done :laugh:

How illogical is that though? I mean you look great. So who cares what the scale says?
    The problem with the calorie intake approach proposed is that you have to be really strict with your calories to know whether you need to increase or decrease at the end of the 2-4 weeks. So it seems impossible to lose weight without counting and weighing. Makes me sad :sad:

I don't count a damn thing and I can alter my weight quite easily. But I'm not an emotional eater and I've loads of experience from my past tracking things meticulously. After a while it simply became second nature to a point where I know when I'm eating outside the bounds of how I need to be to reach whatever my goal is at the time (gain, lose, maintain, or whatever).

But you're right, if you're nutrition isn't very consistent in terms of what you're eating, it does become a guessing game without tracking. Thankfully I've a foundation that comprises the majority of my food intake each and every day.
  • Burtonrah
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input!!
  • tokenana
    Options
    this was fantastic thank you about to do me some math now :D haha
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for reading guys! Glad you were able to find value in it.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Good post, thanks!!
  • Splendidissimus
    Options
    Saving. :) Thank you very much for the article.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    This is so true. I've been on 1200-1250 calories per day according to MFP. But I decided to try wearing my HRM through a 24 hour lazy day. So no exercise, slow work day - I have a desk job - and relaxed in front of the TV that evening. I burned and ESTIMATED 2300 calories in 24 hours. And I'm 5'2" and 124 pounds. Not big at all. (Subtracted my 'resting caloires' from this and it almost matched the BMR that MFP gave me according to my activity level - 3 calorie difference that day).
    BMRs weren't meant to measure calories burned while not doing aerobic activity.
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As always, great information! Thanks Steve
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Debx12345
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Leigh258
    Options
    bump
  • MEMoggridge
    MEMoggridge Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This makes complete sense to me!! Thank you so much for the great explainations!!
    I have been on a really slow weight loss for a couple of months and have just started eating a little more but alternating it with the goals set on MFP and finally it seems to be working!! Going towards a 2lb loss for this week which matches the aim you mentioned so I am really happy with that!!! :smile:
  • newuser111
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for the bumps everyone!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice. Thank you. Bumping here as well.
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    another great post!
    thanks, I will be pointing lots of friends to this :)
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    bumpity-bump