Breastfeeding and calorie counting

Options
Hi, I was just wondering if there are any other breastfeeding moms on here. I was wondering how you calculated your calorie intake. Personally I just try to make sure my calorie goal is 500 calories above the 1200 minimum. I started off not allowing myself the 500 calories that breastfeeding burns and found myself starving all the time. Since fixing it I have had success.

Anyway, I was just wondering what other breastfeeding moms are doing.

Thanks, :)

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    There is an entry in the food database for breastfeeding, if you know how much your baby is taking in. It will up your calories accordingly. Hope that helps.
  • bbhe
    bbhe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I counted calories when I was breastfeeding. I think it's really important to eat enough. I think, looking back, that I was cranky and my milk supply was low because I was not getting enough food. I was so miserable being big (I was huge) that I was willing to be hungry.
    I would recommend eating until you are full and recording what you eat. Then look at how many calories it was and record how you feel. Then use that number as your baseline. If you feel good and you have enough milk, then you might drop a couple of hundred or so calories from that point and see if you still feel okay. Then drop a couple of hundred more and see if any weight starts to come off.

Good luck and enjoy the baby!! My little is two now! That time is so sweet.
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding and pretty much doing what you're doing, I would normally give myself about 1600 calories to work with and so for breastfeeding I give myself 2100. Anything less than that and I get so hungry I binge. Remember to take your vitamins, too, the baby will deplete your stores of essential nutrients if you are not getting them in your diet.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    1200 as your base plus the 500 for nursing still seems a bit low... If you feel hungry still, I think you could definitely up that.
  • lucasdany
    lucasdany Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am also currently breastfeeding and I am doing exacly what you mentionned, I allow myself about 500 more calories then what is recommended by MFP. I have lots 8 pounds and feeling really good, not starving and if I workout I eat those calories too! Oh and remember to drink lots of water. Good luck!
  • capnananda
    capnananda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding and pretty much doing what you're doing, I would normally give myself about 1600 calories to work with and so for breastfeeding I give myself 2100. Anything less than that and I get so hungry I binge. Remember to take your vitamins, too, the baby will deplete your stores of essential nutrients if you are not getting them in your diet.

Oh wow, I haven't taken my vitamins in a long time so that thanks for that tip. I will start taking them again for sure and that should help. I allow myself 1950 calories a day and that satisfies me just fine. My baby is 9 months so he doesn't need as much milk as when he was younger but still nurses pretty often.
    I was just curious as to what other moms were doing.