Sodium??

Options
Ok I have a question, what will going over your sodium levels actually do?? Will it stunt your weight lose or what? Im just not sure what to do, also, do you have any tips food to eat that have little sodium in it??

Replies

• david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Excess sodium causes water retention and therefore increased weight...

rgds,

David
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    high sodium causes you to retain water, but also on a more serious note, a high sodium diet causes high blood pressure!!
    the national heart association says that the recomended daily intake of sodium is 1500 mg a day... mfp says 2500mg.

i watch my sodium like a hawk, and keep mine around 1500mg daily.

eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, try and stay away from canned vegetables or anything canned for that matter since it is chock full of sodium. you can find more and more items on store shelves that are "reduced sodium" or "no sodium added".
  • denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am on a program with my doctor and dietician we have my sodium intake at 1500 a day. I avoid packaged foods, canned goods, I lean toward fresh first but I do love frozen veggies. I made a pot of chicken chili last night and just about died when I seen the total sodium, all because I used canned beans and canned tomatoes, no more I will make it all fresh next time..Good luck..
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I am on a program with my doctor and dietician we have my sodium intake at 1500 a day. I avoid packaged foods, canned goods, I lean toward fresh first but I do love frozen veggies. I made a pot of chicken chili last night and just about died when I seen the total sodium, all because I used canned beans and canned tomatoes, no more I will make it all fresh next time..Good luck..

i know what you mean about canned beans- i made chili awhile back using canned beans and my jar dropped... i made chili last night for dinner using dried beans and it made SUCH A DIFFERENCE :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    high sodium causes you to retain water, but also on a more serious note, a high sodium diet causes high blood pressure!!
    the national heart association says that the recomended daily intake of sodium is 1500 mg a day... mfp says 2500mg.

i watch my sodium like a hawk, and keep mine around 1500mg daily.

eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, try and stay away from canned vegetables or anything canned for that matter since it is chock full of sodium. you can find more and more items on store shelves that are "reduced sodium" or "no sodium added".

Just to extrapolate that further, high sodium > fluid retention > weight gain > high blood pressure > increased risk for heart disease and related diseases; i.e. high cholesterol and diabetes > and the list goes on...

From someone who has diabetes, had high bp, and high cholesterol...I highly recommend you don't want too much sodium in your diet.