Running Shoes

Options
I am needing a good pair of running shoes that are not really expensive. Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• tater8589
    Options
    All depends on your feet and how you run, but I have always had good luck with Asics and Newbalance. Though I currently have Nike Free and LOVE love love them. My next pair will prob be another Nike Free.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love Asics but I have high arches and wide feet - you really need to find shoes that fit for you! :flowerforyou:
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You should really go to a running specialty store.

They will watch you run in them, look at your stride and gate and will suggest shoes.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Can you find a specialty shoe store that caters to runners? Although I do love some nike pairs, I went in and they measured my feet and gave me shoes that work extremely well and also catered to my extremely high arch. That is the best way to get fitted for really great running shoes.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    However, the shoes at those specialty stores tend to be $$$$. Once they tell you the shoes you should get try them on, try them in the store (run in them) then go home and look online for them at a better price. When you find the store you want to buy them at online go to www.retailmenot.com and put in the stores name to look for any coupon codes that can help cut the price even more!

You can call cheap, but I prefer frugal, sounds more sophisticated.
  • strandedeyes
    Options
    However, the shoes at those specialty stores tend to be $$$$. Once they tell you the shoes you should get try them on, try them in the store (run in them) then go home and look online for them at a better price. When you find the store you want to buy them at online go to www.retailmenot.com and put in the stores name to look for any coupon codes that can help cut the price even more!

You can call cheap, but I prefer frugal, sounds more sophisticated.

Hey no harm in doing that...im down for saving money :) I just personally have such high arches and wide feet, i decided to spend that extra this time to know what I am doing plus all the marathon runners I know go to the store I went to. The dude who helped me deserved that money for his store :)
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    In the Rockford area we have a Runners Image store that has phenominal customer service. I would definately recommend going to a small more family owned running or athletics store. They totally know what they are doing and can help you get the perfect pair of running shoes. I have been a runner for the last 11 years so I know a few things about running shoes. :)

I also worked at ****s Sporting Goods...and they do NOT teach their employees what to look for in a pair of good running shoes. Their employees to not specialize in anything and most (from my area) were college kids trying to make some extra cash (hence why I worked there.) So please do NOT go there for running shoes. I dont want you to get ripped off. I actually taught the employees there more about running shoes than they learned through the online "classes" that they have (which taught them nothing about arch sizes, widths, toe box shapes, heel support or how to help with tendonitis, they only told you what the materials were.)

Oh, also, when trying to save money on shoes dont forget to ask for last years model or if there are any left in a different color that could be sold for a discount. People dont always know to ask for this kind of stuff so they dont get the discounts that they could be getting. One thing to NEVER compromise on is the size of the shoe. If it feels too big or too small... DO NOT GET IT. You will end up buying a new pair that actually fit. I may have only worked retail for a year and a half, but as a true runner at heart I could never trip up a fellow runner. :) Good luck with your shoe search!
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    I also worked at ****s Sporting Goods...

OMG...it actually blocked out that word!!! LOL its part of the store's name for christ sake!!! hahah thats funny.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    SAUCONY ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • strandedeyes
    Options
    I also worked at ****s Sporting Goods...

OMG...it actually blocked out that word!!! LOL its part of the store's name for christ sake!!! hahah thats funny.

hahahahah now that is AWESOME! :) lol
  • acpro
    acpro Posts: 3
    Options
    Asics Gel !!! I always buy them when they are in sold at the store ... so I buy them ~ 85$ instead of 115$ in Canada.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that once you visit a store where a knowledgeable worker watches you walk/run, fetches several different shoes and explains the features & benefits & differences then watches as you walk/run in those shoes you might feel it only right to buy the shoes or at least something at that store.

I had a great experience today in a locally owned store. The shoes that were recommended to me were about $79. They are built to provide more support to keep me from rolling my foot in. The shoes I selected myself last spring at the self-serve discount shoe store were about $75 and offered very little support. I expect this spring's running experience will be somewhat different that last spring's.
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I find the shoe I like and then I go to Shoebuy.com and get a great price with discounts and such. $100 shoes for usuallyl abut 70.