Exercise Calories

Options
I have my daily calorie intake set at 1200. I am also doing about 65 minutes on an elliptical a day, which calculates to around 800 calories burned. I don't eat my exercise calories. The first week I lost 2.8 lbs (after gaining 10 when I first started) and at the end of my second week of exercising and eating on track, i've only lost .4 lbs.

Should I be eating my exercise calories? I was told your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less than 1200 a day. What is a healthy way to up my calories without adding fat or sugars?

Replies

• ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    yes, at least once a day someone asks this same question...
  • Susieqtip
    Susieqtip Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're starving. Yes, stay maybe 200 calories under but get the recommended calories. Protein shakes, almonds, whole grains, proteins, fruit, along with your vegetables of course. Even give yourself and ounce of dark chocolate everyday if you want! It works! Eat smaller meals more times a day to keep metabolism going. I am eating more and more often and am finally seeing the scale go down.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Do a search in the forum about exercise calories. Anyone else have links to that one great forum thread? Let me try to find it.
  • tammysjunkk
    Options
    Hi I've been reading a lot on nutrition and exercise lately and so far most of the books say the same thing, that the 1200 calorie rule is not a standard for everyone, it depends on your body type and other things.

It could be that the 1200 calorie is too low for you and your body has gone into starvation mode so you've plateaued. The helpful one I found was to take of 20% off my TDEE calories.

Good luck!!
  • father5
    Options
    I have asked myself this question several times, but it depends. I usually only burn between 300 to 400 calories when I work out, but if it is late in the evening I want try to take in all those calories right before turning in for the day. I also have my calorie intake at 1200 a day, so I really try to keep it around that number each day with or with out the calories burnt during exercise. I believe it is best to get your calories in then to go lacking and starve your body.
  • iitsolivia
    Options
    Also, I eat Zone Perfect protein bars when I want something sweet, they taste a lot like candy bars! But then I'm over on the protein portion of my daily goal. Is this important?
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. If you are truly not hungry, I don't believe you have to stuff your face to eat your exercise calories, but if you are hungry, allow yourself those calories. Since I have started eating more (eating my exercise calories), I have started feeling better AND losing more.