Time to mix it up?

Naomi91
Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all,

Running is something I enjoy and look forward to everyday, running about 26+ miles a week. But I have read that your body can get used to this and you wont lose, and that worries me!

Is it time for me to switch it up? And my weight goes up and down like crazy, so I am only going to weigh once a month from now on so I cant tell you if my loss has stalled or not, I didnt have much to lose in the first place.

also:
I live next to the rec center with ellipticals and stationary bikes. Although I do live on the track. I dont have a tv so I cant do dvds in my dorm
and also lift weights 2-3 times a week

and suggestions?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Does it feel easier when you run?If so then try adding different types of running work outs like tempo runs (3+ miles at a fast pace) or speed work on a track doing sprinting mile repeats with 1/2 mile walk/jog recoveries? If it doesn't feel easier, just keep it up.As for the weight loss, how does your diet look? Usually this is where the fluctuations come from since you are exercising a lot. Make sure to drink water and take your measurements.

Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It looks like you aren't eating enough on the days you work out. Start eating more consistently, meet your calorie goal and eat your exercise calories. If you do that you should start to see some actual loss. You also shouldn't burn more than 500-700 calories per day. Burning more than that stresses your body, even if you eat all your exercise calories. Unless you're training for a marathon you don't need to exercise that much.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    It's always good to mix in some variety. Here's what Mr. John Hussman has to say about it: http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TGHowtoWorkout.html

I found that whole site to be very useful in general by the way.

I also read something recently that said doing 2 types of cardio is enough to keep your body on its toes (i.e., you don't have to do always be looking for alternatives). I thought it was on the Hussman site, but skimming over it again, I don't think that's where I read it.

I'm currently struggling with this very problem. Since I do all my workouts at home, I'm somewhat limited in what exercises I can do.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Mixing it up works wonders. I would weigh myself once a week though. You would not want to see a few pounds added on at end of month and wonder where you went wrong. Good luck.
  • Naomi91
    I actually am scheduled for my first marathon over the summer :] so I try and go farther with distance...
    and some days I have a fitness class in the morning and run in the evening usually to get rid off college stress!

The thing about eating all my exercise calories is I feel all bloated the next day even if they are all healthy D:

And I thought about trying out some sprints, or moving to the elliptical for a bit just so my body doesnt get too used to my running

you guys are a ton of help!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Yes, your body can get used to cardio sessions, no matter how long they can be. If it's constant enough, your body actually expects it to happen and the metabolism starts to burn those calories with less efficiency than when you first started.

Include some strength training and/or HIIT routines into your runs. The great thing about HIIT is that it's not really about the length of the workout, it's about the intensity. Short bursts of it are actually more efficient at burning calories and fat than long routines.

Hope that helps. If you need references to including HIIT into your runs, here's an article with related ones attached to it that can give examples.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/81670-burn-fat-hiit/
  • Naomi91
    Does it feel easier when you run?If so then try adding different types of running work outs like tempo runs (3+ miles at a fast pace) or speed work on a track doing sprinting mile repeats with 1/2 mile walk/jog recoveries? If it doesn't feel easier, just keep it up.As for the weight loss, how does your diet look? Usually this is where the fluctuations come from since you are exercising a lot. Make sure to drink water and take your measurements.

Good luck!

I actually eat quite healthy for what I can do, being a college student in the dorms I really dont have access to many veggies D: even though I love them! I am wondering if my carbs were the issue, with eating too many
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    The only two types of cardio I have ever done are Running and Recumbent Bike. I did running for a few months last year, and now I have done recumbent bike for the past few months. I only switched because I got tired of running. I don't think you need to switch it up if you enjoy running.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    hi there! i am a runner and i am in the middle of doing the insanity program. as a runner, it is AWESOME because it is intense, and more than running. :) plus, it's full body which is nice. i love it... check it out.

ps. your running will improve from a good cross training regimen
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Varying your training intensities and durations is far different from "mixing it up". Introducing complementary activities is sometimes a good idea to prevent overtraining, but it is not absolutely necessary.

The idea that "your body gets used to one thing and stops burning as many calories" is a gross oversimplification and it not physiologically true. Any increases in "efficiency" are tiny and not that significant. More often, what happens is behaviorally we change our habits to accommodate our routine.

That being said, varying your training intensity is a core principle of fitness training. So you should be including endurance workouts, tempo workouts, and higher intensity interval workouts in your routine. The same goes for lifting as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It's always good to mix in some variety. Here's what Mr. John Hussman has to say about it: http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TGHowtoWorkout.html

I found that whole site to be very useful in general by the way.

I also read something recently that said doing 2 types of cardio is enough to keep your body on its toes (i.e., you don't have to do always be looking for alternatives). I thought it was on the Hussman site, but skimming over it again, I don't think that's where I read it.

I'm currently struggling with this very problem. Since I do all my workouts at home, I'm somewhat limited in what exercises I can do.

It's unfortunate that he uses the term "muscle confusion". It undermines the credibility of what is overall an article with some good common-sense guidelines.
  • Naomi91
    Its going to be hard to mix it up, as i love running distance so much D:

Its difficult for me to not run 2 times a day!
    (I get very bored and stressed so running makes me feel tons better)
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    I like the idea of only needing 2 types of cardio, I do zumba, elliptical and bike riding, I would hate to have to try to mix it up more. Thanks for the info. and putting my mind to rest.
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    ice skating!!!
    and inline is awsome in the spring....so good for your legs too!
This discussion has been closed.