Help with substitutions!

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Ok, so I've got this terrible craving for scotch eggs. For those who've never had them, they're basically a hard boiled egg, coated in sausage, coated in breading, that is deep fried.

I can't have them right now... a single serving can be as much as 1400 calories.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to make them in a diet friendly way. So, I'm thinking ground up fiber one as breading, vegetarian sausage crumbles as the sausage, and hardboiled eggs as... well, themselves.

Now, have any of you worked with vegetarian sausage crumbles? Can you knead it/form it like ground sausage?

I'm like dying for one of these things!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Scotch-Eggs/Detail.aspx
-for those who've never seen them before, thats what they look like.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've got this terrible craving for scotch eggs. For those who've never had them, they're basically a hard boiled egg, coated in sausage, coated in breading, that is deep fried.

I can't have them right now... a single serving can be as much as 1400 calories.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to make them in a diet friendly way. So, I'm thinking ground up fiber one as breading, vegetarian sausage crumbles as the sausage, and hardboiled eggs as... well, themselves.

Now, have any of you worked with vegetarian sausage crumbles? Can you knead it/form it like ground sausage?

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Maybe mix a little egg white in with the crumbles to make it stickier and the form it around the egg? Try baking or pan frying instead of deepfrying.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I eat the veggie sausage patties for breakfast... they kinda fall apart easier than regular sausage so I think if you crumbled them up you'd have to use a lil egg white to keep 'em stickin together... they taste good though!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    How about turkey sausage?
    Be careful with using Fiber One as crumbs... I've heard it's on the sweet side.
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to make scotch eggs all the time when I used to camp and work at the Texas Rennaisance Fair. I would try to use turkey sausage and maybe homemade bread crumbs (light bread toasted then pulverized. You could try to bake instead of fry but I don know how that would taste
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I agree with aaubrey.
    Make your own bread crumbs with whole wheat bread... pop some bread in the toaster or oven and grind them up in your food processor or with your hands:happy:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

no not the kind I have used its kinda like a cooked ground meat but the egg white idea is great. and wow I never knew thats what a scotch egg was
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I vote skip the eggs, just drink real Scotch... By morning, you won't remember or care...and your craving should fade.

:drinker:

I'm helpful!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I vote skip the eggs, just drink real Scotch... By morning, you won't remember or care...and your craving should fade.

:drinker:

I'm helpful!
    :drinker: :laugh: