is yoga good for a sprained ankle?

Options
well i hurt my ankle joggin/walkin 5miles on wednesday. :grumble: it's still sore & i still walk w/a limp. was suppose 2 do 6miles saturday but that's out :sad: i'm suppose 2 b trainin for 2 half marathons in march (5th & 20th). so i'm tryin 2 take it easy so it can heal up. :cry: but is it a good idea 2 do basic yoga in the meantime?

Replies

• safetypins
    Options
    In my opinion, no, because a key element to yoga is balance; both balancing and doing exercises on both sides. (Right and Left). When I sprain something, be it wrist or ankle, I try not to use it for a couple days... and I ice it.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    RICE

R -- Rest
    I -- Ice
    C -- Compresion (Ace Bandage read instructions on how long on/off)
    E -- Elevation

I"m thinking it may not be your best choice, but if you do decide to go to yoga. Get there EARLY and let the instructor know you've got an injury. So that they have the option of offering you alternate poses.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. If you want your ankle to truly heal as fast as possible stay off of it as much as you possibly can. I'm just coming off a sprained ankle injury and was stupid the first few days trying alternatives to my normal cardio and te swelling got insane and I, literally, could not run/jog after I did that. I could by push off of my foot at all on the injured side and could barely walk on it.

So I switched to keeping it elevated every second I could and alternating ice and heat all night (or all freakin' day on the weekends). And then, the first night it felt healed enough to work out again...I didn't. I gave it two additional days after it felt "healed" to make sure it's truly recovered. Last time I did cardio was Jan 23rd. It's been a mentally exhausting time from not being able to go run or use the elliptical or bike, etc when I really want to, but it's paid off in a healthy ankle. And I'll be back in the gym tomorrow. :D

Last time I had a sprain, before I started working out, I didn't take care of it and it took over three weeks to get back to normal. So I definitely endorse staying off of it and taking care of your body.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you should stay off it as much as you can. You don't want to mess it up worse.

I agree with one of the previous posters, rest, ice, compression, elevation.
  • Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't hurt too much, go for it. There was a recent article that found light exercise was better on injuries than no exercise...not sure if I'll be able to google that article, but I'll check. If something looks too hard to hurts, skip it.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ok. ty!! i'll b stayin in this wknd & makin the roomie get me movies 2 watch :tongue:

ty 4 the info!!! :smooched: