Do you get super hungry?

Options
Since we all had to cut calories out of our diet I was wondering if you guys get super hungry like I do. My calorie restriction is not really low, on purpose (about 1500, for a woman) but I still get really hungry and it's hard to adjust.

I am not talking emotional eating. I am talking about real hunger pangs, which btw have always been there each time I lost weight.

How do you guys cope with that? Forget about it? take appetite suppressants?

thanks for your help! :)

Replies

• tashajasmine
    tashajasmine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    try to guzzle a glass of milk. thats what i do if i need a snack but am close to my calorie limit
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 meals, spaced 2-3 hours apart and am never hungry anymore! :D
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water and eat smaller meals throughout the day, rather than three large meals. Cutting your calories gradually rather than all at once helps too, as it helps you ease into it. (For example, if you were at 2000 a day before, do 1850 one week, then 1700 the next, then 1650, then stay at 1500 until you hit goal.) Slow and steady definitely wins the weight loss race. :smile:
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat every two to three hours too and don't have to worry about hunger. I find low fat yogurt with about 10g of walnuts or almonds tends to be a good under 200cal snack.
  • safetypins
    Options
    I felt it the first couple days, but I got used to it. I never reach my calorie goal and I'm never hungry now... and I'm only supposed to have about 1300.

I was an overeater, so I really wasn't used to cutting back so much. But again, I'm fine now.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Schedule yourself healthy snacks. A piece of fruit will kill off those hunger pangs in a snap. I keep premeasured baggies of dry cereal in my desk (i hate milky/soggy cereal). When the 4 pm munchies/hunger hits I take out a baggie of my healthy cereal, and snack away on it. By the time I'm done, no more hunger pangs.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    One of several reasons for eating smaller portions and 5 to 6 meals a day is that if a person eats more food in one sitting than the body can digest it will store it as fat.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    The dull hunger pains make me feel accomplished. I ignore them, drink tea, and go to bed. The ravenous hunger pains I pay attention to and eat accordingly. The other day, for the first time in forever, I work up starving. I had a big workout the night before and I needed fuel. So, I had a bigger than normal breakfast and moved on.

Almonds are my "go to" morning snack. The protein helps a lot!
  • britt_fit
    Options
    Exercise gives me wiggle room so that I can eat a little bit more. I mean, I don't necessarily exercise to eat more, but I find it helps some :) I'm a huge fan of 100 calorie packs of popcorn or kettlecorn. They really help a lot. If you're still starving after that, listen to your body! Maybe you need to eat just a tiny bit more and you still will be able to lose weight.
  • Wetikaba
    Wetikaba Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I am actually amazed that some of you can lose weight without ever feeling hungry!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Find foods that keep you fuller longer are key. If I'm really hungry I will get something to eat and go a little over if needed. It gets easier and I rarely feel super hungry. Beans, peanut butter, avocado are some foods that keep me satisfied.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Fiber is key for feeling full, like oat meal, steel cut oats, malto-meal. Also, try 30 g of protein in the morning as soon as you wake up.