Is anyone else having this trouble?????

Options
LadyZen
LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
Okay, I know that this is a good problem, but nonetheless, it is still getting to be an issue. We're supposed to eat all of our calories including our exercise calories, right? Okay. My issue is that I'm not hungry enough to eat all those calories (Boy, did I EVER think that that was actually going to be an issue for me...Miss Binge Eater:laugh: ). Honestly, after going from staying under 1200 sometimes under 1000 to needing to eat up to 1800 cal per day, I'm just not hungry. I checked my cal before my son's baseball game and realized that I needed to eat over 500 more cal. So I ate a small pack of Mike and Ike's, a 1/2 of a cow tale, and a whole package of caramel creams, and I still need over 300 more cal still!!!!!:frown: Is anyone else struggling with having to eat all these calories?????? Also, I don't want to give up exercising (something again I NEVER EVER thought that I would say) since it will help with toning. HELP!!!!!!

Replies

• LadyZen
    Options
    Okay, I know that this is a good problem, but nonetheless, it is still getting to be an issue. We're supposed to eat all of our calories including our exercise calories, right? Okay. My issue is that I'm not hungry enough to eat all those calories (Boy, did I EVER think that that was actually going to be an issue for me...Miss Binge Eater:laugh: ). Honestly, after going from staying under 1200 sometimes under 1000 to needing to eat up to 1800 cal per day, I'm just not hungry. I checked my cal before my son's baseball game and realized that I needed to eat over 500 more cal. So I ate a small pack of Mike and Ike's, a 1/2 of a cow tale, and a whole package of caramel creams, and I still need over 300 more cal still!!!!!:frown: Is anyone else struggling with having to eat all these calories?????? Also, I don't want to give up exercising (something again I NEVER EVER thought that I would say) since it will help with toning. HELP!!!!!!
  • damselfly25
    Options
    Don't eat them until you have a problem opposite of the one you have now (ie need to gain weight):laugh: I don't eat all my calories everyday...and I'm proud when that happens because also sometimes, on holidays or special occasions, you're going to want to over eat a bit and think of this as saving it
    up.:tongue:

63986.png
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    hello. I had this problem when I was still in "diet mode" . It's less of a problem now that I've brought more real food back into my diet. Instead of a slimfast for breakfast I'll have two low fat waffles and a cup of strawberry yogurt and instead of a lean cuisine for lunch I'll have a Subway veggie sub and baked chips. Its a transition that I think everyone needs to make eventually because no one can live on the same thing
    forever. I hope this was helpful and congratulations on your success so far!
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    You need to make sure that you don't go 1000 calories below maintenance plus excercise calories or you may go into survival mode which results in your body slowing down your metabolism, holding onto fat and digesting muscle.

You can change your goal temporarily to maintenance to see what your mantenance calories are, add to that excercise calories and subtract 1000. Don't go below that.

If you need more calories how about 100% natual fruit juice like apple or orange. That will load you up with calories. Or make sandwiches with nondiet bread (some sort of whole grain is healthiest), that will also load up the calories.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You need the calories for long term success. Banks will give you heck about this...lol :laugh:

Try less "diet" foods and eat some calorie dense foods that are also good fats, like nuts, peanut butter, avocado, believe it or not an ounce of cheese with some whole grain crackers etc.

Most people eat light foods when they start out, a lot of veggies and fruits and forget the other dietary items that are good and nutritionally sound. It is hard to get your head around this when you start but when you start to do this you will actually stay full longer and feel better.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    great advice so far. . .just chiming in to say that it really is true.

As long as you are accurately reporting your exercise, you should eat 'em all. I find it's helpful to have a bigger breakfast on my workout days. Otherwise, I spend my nights trying to catch up.:flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    So I ate a small pack of Mike and Ike's, a 1/2 of a cow tale, and a whole package of caramel creams, and I still need over 300 more cal still!!!!!:frown:

Okay, umm...three pieces of candy to try and make up the calories?! I hate to lecture BUT.....as it was said earlier, try healthier choices that are denser in calories - nuts, peanut butter, milk, even trail mix. Planters has a new line of nuts that were created for nutitional balance (NUT-ricious?) look into them..
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem since switching to maintance too. I couldn't even bring myself to add the 500 calories back, just chose "lose 1/2 lb a week" and I still am finding myself under a few hundred every day. I NEVER thought I would have this problem. Some things I am trying include a glass of chocolate milk, no more "diet stuff" like low-cal yogurt, I buy the real deal. I think part of my problem is I am busy with my kids outside and I am skipping snacks. I quit buying the diet bars and have regular granola bars. I am trying to preplan my days again so I don't end up with lots of calories at the end of the day. This tends to make me think "whoo-hoo, it's ice cream time!" I think part of my problem is that I worked so hard to lose my weight that I have a terrible fear that it will come back so I tend to keep eating like I did when I was losing. Good luck and enjoy some peanut butter.
  • LadyZen
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I really do appreciate it. :smile: Yeah, I knew that eating candy would be the last thing that I needed to do to add calories, but...wasn't thinking:ohwell: I think that I will incorporate more seeds and nuts into my diet. I really like tropical trail mix; that might help as well. I love fruit juices and chocolate milk, too. I am into light chocolate soymilk right now.:drinker:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I personally never have a problem eating up the extra calories...my advice would be to skip the candy except for an occasional treat and fill those calories with peanut butter, fruit juice, nuts (even dark chocolate covered ones!) or cheese! You can add a couple hundred calories onto a meal by melting some full fat cheese over your chicken, or rice or whatever.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    woops...lol didn't read the whole thread, if I had I would have realized that all of those suggestions were already mentioned! lol Great minds think alike :flowerforyou:
  • LadyZen
    Options
    That's alright:happy: I still appreciate the input:happy:
  • SUPREMENOTORIOUS
    Options
    IF YOU DONT EAT YOUR WORKOUT CALORIES YOU'LL JUST LOOSE MORE WEIGHT FASTER! IF THATS WHAT YOU WANT, THEN THATS A GOOD THING.

LETS SAY YOUR BODY NEEDS 1000 CALORIES TO FUNCTION, AND YOU ARE SEDENTARY, SO YOU HAVE TO EAT 400 MORE CALORIES THEN TO MAINTAIN YOUR WEIGHT YOU HAVE TO EAT 1400 CALORIES. BUT IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT, YOU HAVE TO CUT YOUR CALORIES, OR WORK OUT TO BURN CALORIES, OR A LITTLE OF BOTH. SO BASICALLY YOU ARE DOING BOTH.
    AND IF YOU HAVE A HARD TIME EATING THOSE CALORIES BECAUSE YOU ARE FEELING FULL, THEN YOU MUST BE EATING GOOD THINGS, ESPECIALLY THOSE HIGH IN FIBER, WHICH WILL MAKE YOU FEEL FULLER.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, but if I know I'm planning to do a lot of exerciese a certain day I just add good carbs, whole wheat pasta, bread, brown rice... they are not that low in calories but they help with feeding your muscles.
    I don't think it is a problem to go under net calories once or twice a month but if it becomes a habit you can get to a plateu and you'll have a hard time loosing. One other thing is being prepared, I spread my calories out during the day, 5 to 6 smaller meals and it seems to work fine, in fact I'm hungry now:bigsmile: .Hope that helps:drinker: