HRM vs Walking Tape

togden
togden Posts: 324 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone so I received my HRM lastnight and completely excited and still learning how to work it ... Lastnight I tested the HRM and wore it while I did my workout routine on Biggest Loser XBox Kinect and in the end the HRM said I burned 4 calories less than what the game said so for me I thought GREAT 4 calories is nothing ....

Well this morning I put on my HRM while I did my 1 mile walk with Leslie Sansone (15 minutes) and at the end of the walk my HRM said I only burned 87 calories and walked .69 of a mile but according to Leslie Sansone her tape is a 15minute 1 mile powerwalk and using MFP I would have burned 221 calories ..... Now thats about 130 calorie difference ... What do I log??? Am I doing a mile with her tape or not? Is the HRM not recognizing a mile because its not complete steps there are alot of side to side, front to back, arm raising, kicking, weight lifting movements too...

Replies

• RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Were you checking your heart rate throughout the mile, or just at the end? You get a more accurate count if you do it every time you switch up the exercise.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    I would think it is hard to keep track of Leslie's steps as you stated they are not true steps with one foot in front of the other.

Make sure your heart rate is in zone--if not, amp it up some. Her music is quite boring to me---and I use my own. Use your arms and maybe a hand weight in each to amp it up some. Does your HRM have a chest strap? Those are the most accurate and if it does, then I would rely on it as I do find MFP calorie burns are over inflated according to my HRM.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    I did check my heart rate throughout the exercise and stayed inside my target zone .... Im thinking Leslies tape is not a good

No my HRM does not have a chest strap because when looking I didnt see an affordable HRM with a chest strap that stretched large enough for me ...

Im going to try the HRM with my Zumba tape a little later and see how that goes ....
This discussion has been closed.