Running in the snow - HELP with figuring calories...

irishgal44
irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I know I need to get a heart rate monitor, but for the time being, I just have a gps on my phone that tells me how long I have run. I ran 2.2 miles at probably a 5.4 or so speed...my question is, would you up the calories burned due to running in the snow this whole time? I feel more like I ran a good 4 miles...it was a real work out. Or would you record it as just 2.2 miles and what MFP says for cals burned and ignore the extra work out calories burned from running in the snow?

Thanks everyone!! Up to 40 degrees in Minnesota today...sooooooo excited!!!! Whoot!!!!

Replies

• I would record what mfp gives you and just take any xtra cals as a bonus.
  • I live in a place where we have the pleasure of experiencing all four seasons in a week (sometimes in one day, but whatever). I have a HRM, and sorry to disappoint, but I burn about the same calories when there is snow on the ground as when it's in the 70s. The only time it goes up is when it's in the mid 90s, but I move my runs to before sunrise or to the indoor track at the gym during the summer months.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    The average is 100 calories per mile. IT's hard to calculate without a heart rate monitor if you have burned extra. I'd just go with what MFP says.
  • irishgal44
    Perfect! THANKS!! I will just add it in as a normal run then. :) Now i wish I would have gone for 3!
  • irishgal44
    I've been running in the snow this year and I don't think I've seen a significant difference between my calorie burns in the cold weather v. warmer temps/treadmill runs. That said I'm sure your body does use more energy running in the cold. There probably is a difference but not significant enough to make a big change in your calorie log is my thought. Good luck! :)

Well, I was running in about 3 inches of snow at least...so that's why I was curious. Not really about the temp difference, although that is a good point too. It was a lot tougher to run through it. I would think that running in the snow (inches of it) would be like running through sand - more work = more calories. But maybe I'm wrong. :ohwell: I'm going to call it a wash like you all suggested. It couldn't hurt anything!! :wink:
This discussion has been closed.