How would I log this exercise (HIIT)

Matt_S_1978
Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I read a thread on here the other day which mentioned HIIT runs. I thought I would try it out last night at the gym.

I set the clock for 22 minutes.

Walked 1 minute at 4.2mph pace - incline 2.0%
Ran 1 minute at 9.3mph pace - incline 1.0%
Walked 1 minute at 4.2mph pace - incline 2.0%
Ran 1 minute 9.3mph pace - incline 1.05

All the way to 22 minutes. Then did 4 minutes cool down at 4.0mph - incline 2.0%

I can't remember what the machine said my calorie burn was. My average pace was 9:13.

Anyone care to work out what the burn was ? 194lbs I weigh incase you need that too.

I found it far more rewarding than just jogging for the same amount of time at a medium pace.

Replies

• kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    It's hard to calculate workouts like that without a heart rate monitor. I wouldn't trust what the machine says. If you're going to eat your workout calories, you really need to get a HRM. I know they're not perfect, but at least it gives you an idea. I use mine for cardio and put in whatever multiple of 100 is lower than it says. The other day it said I burned 385 on the elliptical, but I put in 300 to get my net calorie intake. That sounds like a good workout by the way. HIIT is much more enjoyable for me too. I hate long, steady-state cardio. BORING. I envy those people who enjoy jogging for an hour, but I would die of boredom.
  • The best estimate I could come up with using Wolfram Alpha is 418 calories.

Factoring in your age, gender, and weight, it says that walking for 11 minutes at 4.2 miles per hour (it didn't seem to care about incline) would burn approximately 91 calories. Running for 11 minutes at 9.3 miles per hour would burn an additional 280 calories. Finally, the four minute cool down would burn an additional 130 calories.

Again, this is a very rough estimate, especially considering it's not factoring in things like height and heart rate. It also doesn't account for the overall type of workout, which, if I remember correctly, is designed to keep your heart rate up longer and cause you to burn calories for a longer period of time.
  • Matt_S_1978
    Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
    ok thanks people. looks like a hrm is on the cards.

I am UK based so anyone got any good recommendations (under £150 pref)
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    I have a Polar F-6 and I love it. It is very easy to use. I paid about $80.
This discussion has been closed.