Got Twins?!

Options
2»

Replies

• sandeeface518
    sandeeface518 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have boy-girl twins, about to turn 3 this week and even now I am still stopped in stores and asked of they are twins. At first it was cute but now after all this time I'm starting to get sarcastic with my answers. Yesterday I told a lady " no they were born a day apart" and she went into confusion mode asking me how that is possible. I love it....but there are times I want to pull my hair out. Amy of you moms out there find it difficult to learn their secret twin language? Or are mine the only ones who still use their rein talk?
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Language: My twins had their own secret language, they would babble and they always seemed to understand each other. Me and my hubby would just laugh and say they were talking about us. Even at 6 if they are trying to explain something the other twin always helps explain it better. They help each other with their weaknesses.....One of my twins is an excellent reader and we have to make him go do something else so he doesn't help his twin "too much"....like answer for him.

Peoples Questions: I know people are just infatuated with the whole twin concept. I still get people all the time telling me how they always wished they had twins. Thats great ya want mine:laugh: ! They are just full of questions and thats also great except when you don't want to be rude but are in a hurry to get in and get out of a store. When they were babies this was huge because it was a production to take them anywhere.....as you needed 2 of everything. Lugging around 2 carseats....and fending off questions just sometimes adds to all the "production". I feel for those that have identical twins as they have so many more questions to answer like can you tell them apart.....etc......

I remember once going into my older son's classroom and the kids would circle around the twins in awe......One boy said wow you are so lucky to get 2 babies at once. He then tell me that once he put a quarter in the machine and got out 2 bouncy balls:laugh: . I still laugh at that to this day.

Having multiples takes a lot and I believe we are chosen for a reason!!!! Wouldn't trade my boys for all the gold in the world.:wink:
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm Angela, I'm 25 and I have boy/boy twins. There is a lot of speculation about whether or not they are identical. My first OB said he was 98% sure they were identical. My second OB says they are fraternal. For fraternal twins, they look almost exactly alike :P. People outside of family always ask me "wow, how do you tell them apart?" hahaha! I always say "...and apparently they are NOT identical?"

My twins are the exact same height, at EVERY SINGLE weigh in, they have been 1oz apart (even since birth), they have the same heart murmur, they also suffer from the same disease (Cystic Fibrosis). They both have brown hair, brown eyes. Oddly enough, they poop at exactly the same times, eat at the same time, sleep at the same time, and (this is weird) their bowel movements look & smell the exact same... every single time. WEIRD!!! lol :)

I'm going with my first OB and saying that they are identical, lol

If they shared a gestational sac, they're identical. If you're not sure, or can't remember, you can have them DNA tested, which is real simple to do - just a cotton swab in the cheek in the mouth is all you need.

Our twins are identical, but my OB kept saying they weren't, b/c the egg sac had COMPLETELY separated into 2, which is uncommon in id. twins. But my dh and I had earlier sonos done (at a different clinic), that clearly showed 2 heartbeats in one sac, before it split, so we had them DNA tested once they were born, and we were right, they're identical.

Well, they're identical only in appearance, b/c in temperament, they are VERY different! But they're a lot of fun, and keep their older brother on his toes.

That is untrue..... theres only 3% chance of twins sharing a same sac.. and those twins usually end up con-joined ... babies have different sacs weather they are fraternal or identical (the sac is what protect the baby) You cant be 100% sure till they have a DNA test but your biggest clue that they are identical is if they share a placenta. but then again, there are very rare times that the placentas from fraternal twins fuse... but MORE than likely if they share a placenta they will be identical.

I have identical twin girls!

Oops! My bad, you're right! I'm sorry, it's been 7 yrs ago since those ultrasounds, and I knew they shared something. In our case, they split so entirely that there were 2 placentas, which is why the 2nd OB kept saying they were fraternal. Normally, id. twins share the placenta, but in rare cases, if they split early enough, they can have 2 placentas. In any case, b/c we had seen them on u/s waaaay early, we "knew" that they were id, but after birth is when we got DNA testing done, just to be sure.

In any case, no one can tell them apart, but to me, they look totally different. My dh (coincidentally) is also an id. twin, and I can easily tell him apart from his brother, even in baby pix, but there are other relatives that still to this day can't tell them apart (and they have diff. hairstyles, diff. wives and kids - not like they're in the same Garanimals anymore!).
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have 8 year old boy and girl twins. And that is my pet peeve too.... I understand people just may not think right away..but come on...boy...girl....hmmm...Not identical...lolz!!
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am an identical twin...anyone else out there????
  • authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Options
    I have 4 year old boy/girl twins. I am hoping to get to my pre- twin weight and then some. I still get asked all the time if they are twins since Ryan is bigger then his sister Emily. Love being a twin mom they just make me laugh and can drive me nuts the next minute, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
  • formytwins
    formytwins Posts: 106
    Options
    I have 13 1/2 year old twin boys. They are totaly differnet in every way. The doctor told us that they are not identical because they are not mirror image. We could not afford the DNA test and was not important to us at the time. I can tell them apart now but if they have their backs to us then you can not. They were 6 weeks premature and weighed 2 pounds and 3 pounds. We were able to bring them home when they were 2 weeks old. That was the worst feeling in my life is to leave the hospital without my children. They were sent by 2 seperate ambulances to Montgomery without us!!! Now they are healthy BOYS!!! They drive me crazy sometimes but they are so worth it. There is never a dull moment in our house. Oh and they are our only children besides our pets...lol.
  • tinboy
    Options
    I have 13 1/2 year old twin boys. They are totaly differnet in every way. The doctor told us that they are not identical because they are not mirror image. We could not afford the DNA test and was not important to us at the time. I can tell them apart now but if they have their backs to us then you can not. They were 6 weeks premature and weighed 2 pounds and 3 pounds. We were able to bring them home when they were 2 weeks old. That was the worst feeling in my life is to leave the hospital without my children. They were sent by 2 seperate ambulances to Montgomery without us!!! Now they are healthy BOYS!!! They drive me crazy sometimes but they are so worth it. There is never a dull moment in our house. Oh and they are our only children besides our pets...lol.

The "not identical because they are not mirror image" doesn't make any sense to me. Mirror image is when 1 egg splits late in the developement cycle and the identical twins are more alike (and if one twin looks in the mirror, he/she looks like the other twin...opposite features, such as the scalp whorl is on the opposite side...) than if the egg split earlier in the cycle. "Identical" is defined in a much more complicated way than it was when I and my sister were born. We are identical AND mirror image twins. Twins can be identical and not mirror image though.
  • formytwins
    formytwins Posts: 106
    Options
    I put out 2 eggs and they were in 2 different sacs....so I was told:)
  • tinboy
    Options

2 eggs=fraternal

Here's a link to just add to the confusion....

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/identical+twins
  • tinboy
    Options

2 eggs=fraternal

Now, just to make it worse....this has some fascinating info for the tolerant of studiousness person! It is long and deep reading, especially towards the bottom, with scientific descriptions of different types of twins. Don't mind me if you don't find it particularly fascinating like I do... =)

http://www.answers.com/topic/twin#Half-identical_twins
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Im Sam, mum to 3.5 year old frat boys. 3 year olds are special huh? Half the time Im laughing my *kitten* off at the funny things they do, the other half I want to run away and hide lol.
    I got asked just this morning about my boys ages:
    "You have twins?"
    "Yes"
    "How old is that one?"
    "3.5"
    "And how old is the other one?"
    "........really? They are the same age......" lol
    Dumbest question would have to be who do you like the best. My answer is usually - who ever is behaving lol
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't have children myself, but I have 3.5 year old twin neices. I thought you parents of twins might like this example of twin logic: when it was my Mum's birthday, the twins were quite insistant that it was Granny AND Grandpa's birthday (I know some couples do have their birthday on the same day, but my parents don't). Now I reckon this is perfectly good logic if you are 3: we are a pair, and we have our birthday on the same day. Granny and Grandpa come as a pair, so they must have their birthday on the same day too! They wouldn't be told otherwise!!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

2 eggs=fraternal

Now, just to make it worse....this has some fascinating info for the tolerant of studiousness person! It is long and deep reading, especially towards the bottom, with scientific descriptions of different types of twins. Don't mind me if you don't find it particularly fascinating like I do... =)

http://www.answers.com/topic/twin#Half-identical_twins

"tolerant of studiousness" I loved that!!!
    When I was preggo with my two and on bed rest I did SO much in depth reading so that I could fully understand the processes between the types of twins. Just like on babycenter, this board became a banter about types of twins and what they are. I shoulda' seen that coming! There are so many questions to be answered that I just decided to go and do the scientific research and understand it myself instead of trying to figure it out through online posts, so that helped me a lot. lol.

It's so great to see stories from all the other twin moms out there. I feel like I will never get back to pre-baby weight. People keep telling me that I have "two good excuses" but I don't want to see it that way! The babies are not an excuse to be overweight, so I gotta lose this last 20 for THEM, not me!! They deserve a fit and playful mamma!
  • mom2pne
    mom2pne Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Simone. I have 5 boys and my 3rd and 4th are my twins. They were Dichorionic-Diamniotic twins. So we had to wait and see if they looked alike and then consider zygosity testing. Which after much nagging from me my dh who thought my twins were fraternal, he agreed to letting me buy the test kit. We got the results about 2 weeks before their 1st birthday. I was right. They were indeed identical. My dh thought they were frats because Eli was redder and thinner than Peyton. Peyton still is chunkier than Eli, but their skin tones the same now. it's hard to believe that they will be 5 on the 6th.

How far along were you when you had them and how big were they?

I had mine at 36 weeks 3 days by induction. Peyton was 6 pounds 14 ounces and 20 inches and Eli was 6 pounds 10 ounces and 19.75 inches. So they were very close and people are still amazed that I carried almost 14 pounds of babies.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have b/g twins who will be 10 in June. Truly, the loves of my life! It's a wild ride, but so worth it! Friend request me and I will add you.

M