Sprint Triathlons!

bstamps12
bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Anybody else on MFP training for a Sprint Triathlon? (or longer distance triathlon?) Mine is on June 11...so I am now just under 4 months away! This will be my first and I can't wait!

Replies

• campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Good luck on your first tri! I really want to do one too...it's on the list. Finding the time to train will be the most difficult for me since I just had my 3rd child. I had an easier time training (half marathon) in the past once the bubs got a little older so I'm hoping to be able to do a sprint tri next year. Anyway, happy training :) sounds like fun!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Yup. I'm training for my first as well (April 10). Mine is actually a little shorter than a true sprint - 275m swim, 11 mlie bike and 3.1 mile run. Eight weeks from tomorrow! I am FIRED UP!!!!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Good luck and have fun!!! This will be my 3rd season doing tri's. I am doing a half IM in May and then this summer a local promoter had a deal 3 sprints for $99 so i am signed up for all 3. That should keep me pretty busy with training. My favorite part has meeting all these fit people who are very encouraging to new people. The tri's are very challenging but also very rewarding. I am doing a half marathon tomorrow but I feel like I have done more after completing a sprint. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm not an expert but I have a few years of experience. Best thing I ever did was find some other people to train with.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Sprints are great fun. All the joy of tri but a relatively minimal training load.

I have to disagree with emorym though... I find a Sprint Tri much much much easier than running a decent time in a Half Mara.

I mean most people can knock out a 500m swim, 20km bike and 5k run, even if you're not particularly fit, but 13.1 miles at a good pace IMHO is harder work.
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    I enjoy Sprint Racing the most, last summer I was running shoulder to shoulder with a guy just destroying ourselfs, he surged with about a mile to go and I popped couldn't answer. Turned out we were racing for the last podium spot. I generally start my season with a few sprints before moving to the longer events.

people tend to get addicted after their first :)
This discussion has been closed.