ATENTION MFP FRIENDS: HRM HELP NEEDED

MrsSmith2010
MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello all!!!!

I'm deciding that I need to invest in a HRM. My treadmill isn't giving me an accurate reading and I'd like to be able to track calories burned while doing other exercises as well. HOWEVER, I've been looking at them for hours and I can't seem to figure out what I want. So, for you HRM experts, I'm enrolling your services.

I'd prefer to buy one from amazon.com because I have an outstanding credit on my account.
I'd prefer to NOT have to wear something on my chest, but if that's more accurate then I guess I can. (if it's big enough??)
I'd like to stay under the $50 range. I saw a few for $30 so I know it can be done.
And lastly, I don't need anything super fancy. I JUST want to see my calories burned, that's it.

Anyone who's up for the task, you are greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    I have a Polar but they do tend to be at least $100. I love it!! The strap around your chest is most accurate. It goes basically just under your boobs. It will fit because they are adjustable. Im not small and i could still make mine way bigger. I hope you find one you like. They are the best!!
  • I hate the chest straps so when I was shopping for a HRM I looked up numerous ones that consisted of just a watch. I bought the Schwinn HRM online ( I think Amazon) for about $40.00. It is a bit compicated in the beginning and you have to be in calorie mode from the get go to know how much you burnt. I have experimented with it - wearing this and the strap that came with my elliptical trainer simultaneously while working out. The heart rates coincided exactly. The calorie burn not so much. The HRM said I burnt more calories than the elliptical trainer. I am not sure which is more accurate - both numbers are extrapolated by formulas so although everyone thinks the ones with chest straps are most accurate I wouldn't hang my hat on it - IT IS BASED ON A FORMULA. I don't make a big deal about it. I go with a number in between. If I wear it for any activity and it says I burnt 600 calories, I tend to think I really burnt closer to 450-500. But for the money and the convenience of not having to have a chest strap I would say it was a good buy. Hope this helps.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    I have the polar ft4 and I can't even tell I'm wearing the chest strap. I got it for 90 at best buy but I'm sure amazon has it cheaper. From what I have read it us better to spend the extra money.
This discussion has been closed.