restaurant calories?

Options
help...im not sure where to find the calorie intake for menu items at restaurants......going out for dinner tonight and need to find a "healthy" restaurant meal.....thx

Replies

• jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    I typically google the restaurant name + nutrition facts.
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You can look up on the internet for the restaurant nutrition menu, it tells you all the calories, most chain restaurants have them. As for healthy, you can almost find anything at different restaurants. soups, salads, fish, I am going to red lobster tonight for V-day, I am watching my calories all day and exercising, so I can really enjoy my evening! good luck!:happy:
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've actually found most of mine right here in the database. Start entering in some of the meals you ate BEFORE MFP. That's a real shocker !!!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Which restaurant. I've found that MFP actually has alot of the NI already loaded. Start here with the restaurant name only and then try google as previously suggested. You should find something unless it's a little local mom & pop place! Good luck!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    do you have a droid?they have an app for that.or you could look up the resturant itself
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When eating out, my suggestion is to stick to the basics: green salad, fish, plain grilled chicken, steamed veggies. When logginng, I always choose the "higher calorie options" for those foods as the way they prepare foods in restaurants makes them higher in calories than if we prepared at home. The foods are always cooked in butter and oils and many times loaded with high cal dressings or toppings. For me, it makes eating out so much less fun, so I don't do it as often. Sometimes I will have a little "splurge" or treat when eating out, but I try not make it the norm, but reserve that for special occasions!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Dotti's weight loss zone has a section about restaurant nutrition. I think the web site is www.dwlz.com/restaurants.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Check the restaurants website. I've notice that some places don't list their sodium and that could be tricky. Your best bet is probably stick with a salad and get some kind of vinaigrette for the dressing.
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Most chain restaurants actually have nutrition info online. My favorite thing to get is always a sirloin and baked potato. Surprisingly low in calories but you don't feel like you are being deprived. Just watch the free bread and high fat salad dressings!
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For instance- Ruby Tuesday grilled chicken salad has 701 calories.
    Ruby Tuesday Petite sirloin and white cheddar mashed potatoes- 369 calories.

Which one would you rather eat?
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I carry a copy of the CaloreKing Calorie Counter book. It has about 80% of the restaurants I go to and fits nicely into my purse :).