do something you love or something you're good at?

Options
mrb_9110
mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
Is it more important to do something you love or something you're good at? More important to make money or want to go to work everyday? Does anyone have a job that they hated and took a chance to work at a job they love?

Replies

• jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I would say for me it would be something I enjoy. I am young and in college pursuing to be an RD LN (Registered Dietician, Licensed Nutritionist). I am very good at my current job in sales and a very great waitress but I could never do this my whole life. I want to do something I love and enjoy. Money is a material object to me. I need money in my life for basic necessities but I would not need to make a ton of it to be happy. I would want to go to work everyday not just go because the money is good. This is just all my opinon.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Not exactly, but I am working at job that I enjoy going to everyday while it does not pay all that great. I like being able to wake up happy about work as I have had jobs in the past that I pulled the covers over my head and groaned about going to every day. You are young I see, and sometimes you just have to pay your dues and work jobs that are not that satisfying; just part of life - but in the long run, you want to be doing something you love that will enable you to sustain yourself, while it may not make you rich.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Do what you love -- you will be better at it. The money may not be there at first, but it will follow
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I'm a clinical mental health therapist.... I wanted to help people heal, as others have helped me heal from a painful past. God is good, and His Love is everlasting :heart:
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I think that question needs to answered not as an absolute but from an individual perspective. Meaning that, are you the type of person that finds it most important to feel passionately about your career and job? That seems like a dumb question- who doesn't find that important? But the reality is that people are gratified in their careers in very different ways. So for me- I *must* have passion for what I am doing or I will get burned out within a year and a half. There is no question that for people like myself, love for your work is necessary. It doesn't matter if it pays $10 an hour. I would show up with dedication and esprit. I would find that if you love what you do that 'being good at it' would naturally follow.

Also- sometimes what we love to do or have a passion for may not be something we'd want to taint with a professional career...my example would be that I love to cook. I do not want to cook professionally despite everyone I know urging me to do so (I'm a SAHM, everyone tries to suggest possible careers for SAHM's when we exhibit above par skills in anything) because it would literally ruin my joy for cooking!

Am I making sense?

As for having a job that I hated ...I had a very high paying job and left it to be a SAHM. Probably not what you're looking for as you're shopping for people who have switched careers but it was the best thing I've ever done.
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    There are many things I love doing, and am very good at, none of them to do with my job. :bigsmile:

eventhough, my job, takes up most of my sodding life.
  • spaceangel66
    Options
    I absolutely HATED my last job. I worked for an engineering/environmental consulting firm and one of the engineers was the biggest condescending, pompous a-hole I've ever had the displeasure of working with. :mad:

Even though now I work with people who can be morons at times, all in all I like my job...I like the work. I'm making more now than I ever have and have great benefits!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    My dream is to someday escape from NY where winter is almost 3/4 of the year to warmer climates and start a vegetable farm with a roadside market.
    Part of it would be weekend BBQs.

Now just to figure out how to make that happen and have it provide a living.:tongue:
    Nice to dream though.
  • rschmmidt
    Options
    Anyone who's a teacher like me probably wonders why they stay in a low-paying job when it's such hard work, and often under-appreciated. Having said that, there's 2 points I'd like to make:

1. Sometimes it's not about the job, it's the people you work with. I'm so fortunate to go to work everyday with such an amazing bunch of caring, supportive people. Together we can do anything. Look for a job or company that has a reputation for caring about its employees.

2. A good job is where you can have a sense of accomplishment. The satisfaction of improving something, helping people, or making a lasting contribution to your community. Even though there may be days when I don't love it, teaching is rewarding. Find something in which you feel you can make a difference, no matter how small.

:-)