First Time Runners!

Options
Hi! I'm a first time runner and I want to run a 10K this May! I'm a beginner, and I jog at a slow pace (around 5.0 mph) from anywhere between 24-45 min 5 days a week so far.

Anyone else out there just starting?

I can't wait to get faster and start running for longer distances.

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    For a beginner you are doing great - I average around 4.2 for a pace, so you are a speed demon to me!
    Stick with it, slowly increase your miles, and you will be running distance in no time!
  • Stephfitzgerald
    Options
    I am a first time runner as well! But instead of a 10k in may I am joining Portland Fit (they do group runs every weekend starting at the end of March) and running the helvetia half marathon, hood to coast and then hopefully the portland marathon! I definitely have a long way to go though!
  • JWruns
    JWruns Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hang in there, all of you!! i couldn't run for crap a few years ago. then i started running with a friend, about 1.5 miles a day, and i'd be totally worn out at the end. but i kept at it, and i got a little better each day, and before you know it i was up to 5 miles a day, a few times a week. then i kept going.... and now i'm about to run my 5th marathon!!!! absolutely NEVER would have guessed i'd get to this point, but i did it. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • JWruns
    Options
    oh and PS- when i started running, 25 pounds melted away within a year!!
  • JWruns
    Options
    sorry to keep adding stuff- just thought of something else! when i was running about 2-4 miles at a time, i got my first pedometer. that made a huge difference! i'd be able to see exactly how far i ran, and it motivated me to push a little more. so if i felt "done" and had gone 4.6 miles, i'd push myself to make it 5. that's when i really started being able to go farther each time, and it helped so much. definitely get yourselves a pedometer!! (just a simple, basic one is great for starting out!)
  • xbratschex
    xbratschex Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys!! I wish to run a half marathon and maybe even a marathon one day, too! That's awesome! Keep up your hard work! You guys must feel great.
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've just started running. Right now i run on the treadmill and do a combo of running and walking. My pace is usually 5.0-5.5. Right now I can run for 15 min no break and then i walk for a few then run again. If i run at 5.5. I have to take more walking breaks. My legs get really tired!!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Just started running last week on the treadmill - thirty minutes straight at 4.5mph. Decided to take it down to the lake a couple times this weekend, was able to do the three mile loop in just under forty minutes. But did have to breakdown to a walk for the three significant and sustained uphill sections. Never though I would like running, ok, still not sure I believe I will, but love the way I feel afterwards. Even considering trying for a half marathon with my cousin in October.

Surprisingly I haven't really been getting sore, but that is probably due to a near daily yoga class.