Carry over exorcise calories to next day?

Options
Wow, is wood cutting a great calorie burn. Sawed up a 20 " log, split it, and carried the wood up a 10ft bank. It took a tank of gas in the chainsaw, 2 hours, and HRM reported 1300 calories.

I plan to have a couple of glasses of wine this afternoon and nice dinner and have already added them to my log. Even after that I will have 1200+ calories remaining for today, thats what some around here eat in a day.

We are planning to meet friends for breakfast tomorrow and I would like to splurge. Is it bad form to carry exorcise calories to next day? I am thinking of eating another 300 today, 300 hundred for breakfast, and 600 to the fat faerie.

Replies

• hippo_hips
    hippo_hips Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as rollover calories.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This isn't AT&T, you don't get rollover! :wink:

That being said, if you go over a little bit on calories today you won't derail the entire week. Just don't go too overboard and you will be fine! Good luck! :drinker:
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    Unfortunately, the body doesn't work like a cell phone. You might want to saw another log tomorrow :)
  • adhillman01
    Options
    It seems to work fine for me. I rarely eat back my exercise calories during the week and then I splurge on the weekend. I have still managed to lose the 1lb per week that is predicted by my calorie deficit. Maybe I would lose more if I wasn't being bad on the weekends, but enjoying myself (in moderation of course) is more valuable to me.
  • Cudders
    Options
    This website isn't built for that function but others such as Weight Watchers work on the principle of allowing you to bank calories for the week. I don't see huge harm in "rolling over" your calories once in a while, if overall you still stay within your limits.
  • hitxgirl
    hitxgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wondered about that too. Some days I don't eat all my net calories and then the next day I may go out for breakfast and eat 600 calories. Does my body work on the same 24 hour clock as MFP? If I look at 24 hours as starting at 12 noon, then I am good. If this is true then the opposite would be true also. If I eat 300 calories over my net at dinner time, then I could eat a light breakfast and be good. Right?
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    What i do is that if I got over my calorie allowance in one day, I would just workout more the next day and aim for less cals ..to make up for the extra calories.

:)

Exercise is the best ..my metabolism is gotten so much better that even if I overeat I burn the calories good ...they don;t just sit around like before :)
  • akakris04
    Options
    Awhile back weight watchers used to have something similar to this. If you knew that you had a day that was going to be difficult than others, you could save up your points or save up excercise points and then use them all on that day. You could only carry it over for a few days though. I believe that they decided to do away with the saving up points and instead just gave you a certain number of points that you could blow wherever, but more recently they have started allowing you to save up your exercise points to use them in the same week. All that is to say, if done within moderation, I don't see why it would be a problem. Weight watchers is backed by so much science and research and has been successful for so many people, that I'm sure it is not too big of a deal for you to not contain things all into one day. Best of luck!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I cant see a problem in doing that...it will show as you being under today and over tomorrow but tallying up even for the week is fine.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose 1 pound a week you need an weekly deficit of 3500 calories. Whether you eat every single exercise calorie every day and maintain that weekly deficit, or if you "save" some of them for the weekend, it doesn't really matter. If you have that weekly deficit, you'll still lose 1 pound. It does get a little tricky if you're consistently under your daily calorie goal by several hundred calories just so you can use them on the weekend. That can still put your body into starvation mode. But, saving one day's exercise calories to be eaten the next day won't hurt you.

I don't subscribe to the "rollover" theory because I'm not that strict with my calories. I give myself two days off from counting calories every week. If I've exercised that week, great. If not, oh well. I still lose my 1 pound a week whether I'm strict or not, so I give myself some freedom.
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says that it is fine. It makes sense to carry over calories to the next day. As long as your calories for the week add up to what you want them to then it works.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    This isn't AT&T, you don't get rollover! :wink:

I like this!! And I totally agree!!!
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You might want to saw another log tomorrow :)

The logs I'll be sawing tomorrow will probably be in bed. If I could work like that 2 days in a row I doubt I would be here in the first place.